Cities, Towns, Transport
A livable, sustainable human habitat.
Inez Killingsworth: Fighting Foreclosures
posted Feb 01, 2011
- How one outspoken resident is helping Cleveland's families keep their homes.
One of Many Detroits
by Anonymousposted Jan 21, 2011
- Photo essay: "The people of this city are not abstractions." An anonymous Detroit photographer shares a view of the city that the mainstream media doesn't cover.
A Reality Check on the Plug-In Revolution
by Guy Daunceyposted Jan 14, 2011
- What’s really needed if we are to turn the Plug-In Revolution into the main event, instead of a colorful but distracting sideshow?
Let It Snow: The ABCs of Winter Biking
by Jay Walljasperposted Jan 14, 2011
- Tips for winter riding from the coldest big city in America.
Fixing the Future
posted Jan 14, 2011
- Video: David Brancaccio's full documentary as he travels the country to visit communities that are changing their economy in unique ways.
A Car-Free Street in Queens
posted Jan 14, 2011
- Parents, children, painters, and teens now have a community play space in their Jackson Heights neighborhood.
A Different City
by Richard Conlinposted Jan 05, 2011
- In Seattle, the coming decades will bring new challenges—from storms and rising seas to climate refugees. How will the city adapt?
The Tiny House Movement
posted Dec 17, 2010
- Video: David Brancaccio learns about extreme downsizing with residents of tiny houses.
Seeding Small Business: 5 Ideas from Detroit
by Stacy Mitchellposted Dec 17, 2010
- Detroit entrepreneurs are learning to rely on each other, finding the seeds of a new economy in resources discarded by corporate America.
Strategies for Carbon Neutrality
by Richard Conlinposted Dec 16, 2010
- What are a city's options for cutting its carbon?
Join YES! for No Impact Week
posted Dec 01, 2010
- You’re invited to a one-week carbon cleanse that could change the way you think about your life—and the planet, too.
Cycle City, USA
by Jay Walljasperposted Nov 29, 2010
- How Portland plans to become the first world-class bike city in America.
The World’s First Living Buildings
by Eden Brukmanposted Nov 22, 2010
- Once deemed too ambitious, the next generation of green building is now a reality.
The Road to Right-Size Cities
by Frank and Deborah Popperposted Nov 16, 2010
- The American fable of all-but-permanent urban and economic growth is over. How cities can prepare for a smaller, but not necessarily worse, future.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Hit the Road
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Nov 14, 2010
- How government and industry are getting behind a new breed of electric cars.