Cities, Towns, Transport
A livable, sustainable human habitat.
An Interstate Bicycling System
by Winona Batemanposted Nov 01, 2010
- A system of bicycle routes to connect the nation? It’s happening.
Cycle Chic Around the Globe
posted Oct 25, 2010
- Video: What does fashion have to do with transforming biking from a recreational pastime to a way of life?
Reaching for Resilience
by Christa Hillstromposted Oct 21, 2010
- 10 ways that one rural ecovillage is building strong foundations for coming times.
How to Make Biking Mainstream: Lessons from the Dutch
by Jay Walljasperposted Sep 29, 2010
- The Dutch have spent 35 years perfecting the country's bicycling infrastructure. We, too, can transform biking from a recreational pastime to an integral part of our transportation system.
Where Bikes Rule the Road
posted Sep 29, 2010
- Video: What's it like to get around in a city built for bikes?
Reclaim Your Streets: How to Create Safe and Social Pedestrian Plazas
by Erika Kosinaposted Sep 22, 2010
- 6 steps for replacing cars with parks.
Happy Park(ing) Day
posted Sep 17, 2010
- One day a year, in cities throughout the country, parking spots take on a whole new meaning. Simply by paying the parking meter and rolling out some grass, residents claim these spaces as public parks.
From Vacant City Lots to Food On the Table
by Madeline Ostranderposted Sep 17, 2010
- How to grow food where we need it.
In U.S. Transition Towns, the Big Challenge is Bringing People Together
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 17, 2010
- When it comes to local resilience, it takes all kinds: Building bridges for a post-oil America
Skill Up, Party Down
by Mason Inmanposted Sep 17, 2010
- Transition Towns plan a gentle descent from oil dependence—and have a blast in the process.
Here to There: Transportation Planning in a Climate-Neutral City
by Richard Conlinposted Sep 15, 2010
- Big transportation projects can contribute to sprawl and increase automobile use—or, they can promote biking, walking, and use of transit. Seattle is working to take the latter path.
Resilient Ideas: Get Off The Grid
by Regina Gregoryposted Sep 09, 2010
- A pioneering town in Germany pulls off clean, reliable energy with stable prices.
Bike As You Are
by Valerie Schloredtposted Sep 09, 2010
- Whether it's in lycra or heels, the emerging movement of "come as you are" cycling proves that anyone can bike–anytime, anywhere.
Resilient Ideas: Low-Impact Urban Living
by Sven Eberleinposted Sep 09, 2010
- The challenges of creating urban ecovillages can also be great advantages.
In New Orleans, Kindness Trumped Chaos
by Rebecca Solnitposted Aug 27, 2010
- Lessons of dedication, solidarity, love, and recovery, five years after Katrina.