Joining together to avert catastrophe.
Timeline of the Climate Movement: How Direct Action Took Center Stage
by Kristin Moeposted Oct 02, 2013
- How can we understand a movement as global, complex, and diverse as the one that's trying to stop climate change? As a start, we've used this timeline to gather events that took place over the past 10 years. Let us know in the comments if you see something we missed!
"The Other Keystone": Seattle Gears Up for Direct Action Against Coal Export Plan
by Rachael Stoeveposted Sep 27, 2013
- A showdown over fossil fuel projects that would exacerbate climate change is brewing in the Emerald City.
Women's Knowledge: Three Reasons We Won't Solve Climate Change Without It
by Katrina Rabelerposted Sep 20, 2013
- When it comes to solving the climate crisis, the world can't afford to ignore women's voices.
India Killed Off Most of Its Vultures—Here's Why It Cost Their Economy Billions
by YES! online staffposted Sep 13, 2013
- When about 97 percent of India's vultures died due to eating carcasses that contained a drug called diclofenac, it caused a boom in the feral dog population. The resulting rabies epidemic cost India billions of dollars between 1993 and 2006.
#FearlessSummer: How the Battle to Stop Climate Change Got Ferocious
by Kristin Moeposted Sep 10, 2013
- A series of actions that took place this summer helped to shift the climate movement's center of gravity.
One Thing College Alumni Can Do about Climate Change Right Now
by Laurent Dalozposted Aug 29, 2013
- I've respectfully informed my alma mater that, until it divests its holdings in the fossil fuel industry—coal, oil, tar sands, and fracked natural gas—I will not donate another cent.
Confessions of a Climate Change Denier
by Yotam Maromposted Jul 31, 2013
- The fight for the climate isn’t a separate movement. It’s both a challenge and an opportunity for all of our movements.
“We’re Not Going Anywhere”: Sandy-Struck Neighborhoods Rebuild for Resilience
by YES! online staffposted Jul 24, 2013
- Climate change has turned up the volume, making “superstorms” like Sandy more likely. In this documentary, Clodagh McGowan introduces you to coastal homeowners who are rebuilding their houses to withstand the next big one.
President Obama’s Climate Speech: Is It Enough?
by YES! online staffposted Jun 27, 2013
- Thom Hartmann and YES! executive editor Sarah van Gelder discuss the president’s speech on climate change. Is it a first step toward climate justice? Or is it too little, too late?
An Intimate Look Inside the Climate Justice Movement
by YES! online staffposted Jun 14, 2013
- The film Blockadia Rising documents the campaign of direct action against the Keystone XL pipeline.
Climate Change Is Happening but We Can Meet the Challenge
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 13, 2013
- It can be hard for youth to deal with the overwhelming effects of climate change. But, by taking action, we can erode the hold that oil, fracking, and coal has on people and the environment.
Get Apocalyptic: Why Radical is the New Normal
by Robert Jensenposted May 24, 2013
- Feeling anxious about life in a broken economy on a strained planet? Turn despair into action.
For a Future that Won’t Destroy Life on Earth, Look to the Global Indigenous Uprising
by Kristin Moeposted May 23, 2013
- Idle No More is the latest incarnation of an age-old movement for life that doesn't depend on infinite extraction and growth. Now, armed with Twitter and Facebook, once-isolated groups from Canada to South America are exchanging resources and support like never before.
Houston’s Most Polluted Neighborhood Draws the Line at Alberta Tar Sands
by Kristin Moeposted Apr 22, 2013
- If the Keystone XL pipeline is approved, 90 percent of the tar sands crude that flows through it will be processed near an embattled Houston neighborhood called Manchester. Residents are joining up to demand a healthier future.
Occupy Sandy Funds Growth of Worker-Owned Co-Ops
by Peter Rughposted Apr 05, 2013
- Could the seaside neighborhoods struck by Hurricane Sandy be the next big incubator for worker-owned companies?