Corporate Control? Not in These Communities
by Allen D. KannerFeb 04, 2011
- Municipalities across the country are passing ordinances reclaiming their citizens' rights from corporate interests.
A Reality Check on the Plug-In Revolution
by Guy DaunceyJan 14, 2011
- What’s really needed if we are to turn the Plug-In Revolution into the main event, instead of a colorful but distracting sideshow?
In Memory of Judy Bonds
by Robert ShetterlyJan 10, 2011
- Artist Robert Shetterly remembers a coal miner's daughter who took on the coal industry.
Rewriting the “Tragedy of the Commons”
by Bill McKibbenJan 10, 2011
- We've been privatizing our way to disaster. It's time to chart a new course.
Mountain Memories: Interview with Judy Bonds
by Taylor Lee KirklandJan 07, 2011
- West Virginia activist Judy Bonds died of cancer this week. Before she died, she gave this interview about fighting to save her home from mountaintop removal coal mining.
A Different City
by Richard ConlinJan 05, 2011
- In Seattle, the coming decades will bring new challenges—from storms and rising seas to climate refugees. How will the city adapt?
What Can One Person Do When 6.8 Billion Are Frying the Planet?
Dec 28, 2010
- A visual essay.
10 Most Hopeful Stories of 2010
by Sarah van GelderDec 22, 2010
- There was plenty of disappointment and hardship this year. But the year also brought opportunities for transformation.
Strategies for Carbon Neutrality
by Richard ConlinDec 16, 2010
- What are a city's options for cutting its carbon?
Rise Up, Kiribati
Dec 14, 2010
- Video: Residents of Kiribati share a haunting song about the disappearance of their island home under the waves.
Cancún: Changing the Climate Conversation
by Madeline OstranderDec 14, 2010
- Seven years ago, activists in Cancún started a powerful international movement. How can climate justice advocates have the same impact?
Kicking the Habit: Air Travel in the Time of Climate Change
by Joseph NevinsDec 13, 2010
- Air travel is neither just nor sustainable. So how can environmental justice activists make a global difference?
At Climate Talks, an Answer Grows Outside
by Luis A. UbiñasDec 09, 2010
- In Mexico, communities own and manage their own forests, a proven method for reducing deforestation.
How We Saved the Climate (and Ourselves)
by Bill McKibbenDec 06, 2010
- Bill McKibben imagines himself in the year 2100, looking back at a century of climate chaos and asking: What did it take to save the world?
Maude Barlow: Read Me My Environmental Rights
by Madeline OstranderDec 03, 2010
- An international movement—of governments, scientists, and activists—is bringing a focus on environmental rights to the climate negotiations in Cancún.