Students to Colleges: Take Our Money Out of Dirty Energy
by Sachie Hopkins-HayakawaJan 29, 2013
- A divestment campaign led by students is changing the national conversation about energy, creating a market for sustainable stocks, and linking up students with communities facing off against the fossil fuel industry.
How President Obama Can Turn Climate Speech Into Action
by Sarah van GelderJan 21, 2013
- Many were surprised to hear President Barack Obama take up climate change at today’s inaugural address. Here are a few ways the president can seize the moment and transform our approach to climate action.
Idle No More Rises to Defend Ancestral Lands—and the Planet
by Bill McKibbenJan 10, 2013
- Bill McKibben on the tradition of environmental activism he’s seen among members of First Nations, and the unique role of the Idle No More movement in the fight against climate change.
9 Stories That Will Change Your World in 2013
by Sarah van GelderJan 02, 2013
- 2012 was a year of superstorms, mass shootings, debt strikes, and the most spendy election ever. Here’s how last year’s most important stories will shape 2013.
Why Curbing the Climate Crisis Will Take More Than Summits and Divestment
by Jim ShultzDec 14, 2012
- Targeting the fossil fuel industry is essential, but divestment as the target for action raises the same question as global summitry does: Is it enough?
How I Survived Breaking Up with My Car
by Erin L. McCoyDec 14, 2012
- Erin McCoy tells the story of how she gave up driving, despite her love for cars, and examines the challenges facing drivers who don't live in cities.
Doha Talks Show Need for Climate Action in Post-Sandy U.S.
by Janet RedmanDec 04, 2012
- Will the United States ever change its policy of obstructing international action to stop climate change? If so, the political pressure to change the country’s role will have to come from the American people.
5 Ways the Space Program Helps Us Fight Climate Change
by Erin L. McCoyNov 30, 2012
- From tracking glaciers to predicting crop failure to figuring out how to store solar energy in molten salt, NASA has produced some of our best tools in the fight against climate change.
Greenpeace’s Kumi Naidoo: Time to Stand Against Big Oil in the Arctic
by Kumi NaidooNov 13, 2012
- Oil companies—and many of our political leaders—see melting sea ice as an opportunity to drill deeper. Fortunately, you don’t have to occupy an Arctic drilling platform to join the growing movement of people who are putting themselves on the line for our planet’s future.
Should Chiapas Farmers Suffer for California’s Carbon?
by Jeff ConantNov 13, 2012
- A California proposal would offset the state’s climate-altering emissions by paying for forest conservation in Chiapas. Could there be unintended consequences in a region with a history of human rights abuse and land grabs?
NASA Climate Expert James Hansen: The Future Is Now—and It Is Hot
by Jeff RaderstrongNov 13, 2012
- Climate change is already increasing the likelihood of weather extremes—like the droughts and heat waves we’ve seen in recent years—according to a new report by one of NASA’s top climate scientists.
Next Leaders in the Climate Movement: Insurance Companies?
by Jeff RaderstrongNov 13, 2012
- Insurance companies are likely to pay out billions in claims due to events caused by climate change—which makes them well-poised to lead the way to a low-carbon economy.
McKibben Spearheads Plan to Hit Dirty Energy Where It Hurts
by Fabien TepperNov 09, 2012
- Could 350.org’s aggressive new strategy bring an end to global warming?
A Real World Plan for the President’s Second Term
by David KortenNov 08, 2012
- The pundits are right that Obama should work to bridge political divides. But he needs to reach out to the American people—not to the Republican Party.
Bill McKibben’s Math: Climate Change Hits Home (in a 22-City Tour)
by Phil AroneanuNov 05, 2012
- It shouldn't take a hurricane to blow open the debate about climate change. But Sandy might help 350.org prove what's at stake in a nationwide campaign to divest university endowments from the fossil fuel industry.