YES! Magazine brings you powerful ideas and practical actions from Copenhagen.
God Begins to Smile
Dec 15, 2009
- Video: Archbishop Desmond Tutu, calling for a legally binding agreement on climate change, says the movement for climate justice in Copenhagen would cheer God up.
- 350.org Weekend of Action: Global Mobilization on Climate Change
- To show their support for a legally binding climate agreement coming out of Copenhagen, climate activists came together December 11-13 to hold candlelight vigils and rallies to show solidarity with the nations who suffer the earliest and most severe impacts of climate change. In Copenhagen, 60,000 people attended a mass demonstration on December 12. Over 1,000 people were arrested.
Update from Copenhagen
by Gary BraaschDec 14, 2009
- As week two begins, the U.N. climate negotiations focus on global inequality.
A Global Day of Action
by Alison HammDec 14, 2009
- The largest environmental demonstration in history took place in Copenhagen on Saturday.
Tens of Thousands March in Copenhagen
by Madeline OstranderDec 12, 2009
- Demonstrators outside the U.N. negotiations demand a climate deal.
It's Going to Be Beautiful
by Bill McKibbenDec 11, 2009
- Bill McKibben: There are reasons to be encouraged about the negotiations in Copenhagen, and ways to get involved in your own backyard.
Kumi Naidoo on How We'll Win at Copenhagen
by Madeline OstranderDec 11, 2009
- Forget the cynicism. The activists who made Copenhagen possible are ramping up the pressure for a strong and binding deal on climate change.
Youth and Indigenous Activists Escalate Protests
by Joshua Kahn RussellDec 10, 2009
- In Copenhagen, diverse coalitions of activists are supporting each other in calling for a binding and equitable treaty.
How to Talk to Your Friends About Copenhagen
by Madeline OstranderDec 10, 2009
- Talking about climate change may be one of the most revolutionary things you can do. But how do you strike up your own Copenhagen conversations—and what do you say once you do?
We Hold the Key to Copenhagen
by Sarah van GelderDec 10, 2009
- "We the People" will have to act up if we want a global agreement that averts climate chaos.
Video: Youth Activists Crash Live Climate Denier Webcast
by Brooke JarvisDec 09, 2009
- A group of young activists took over the stage, telling Americans for Prosperity that real prosperity comes from clean energy.
- Cool Globes in Copenhagen
- "Cool Globes: Hot Ideas for a Cooler Planet" is a public art exhibit featuring over 25 large globes, each with a different message about climate change. The exhibit was introduced to Copenhagen in November and will stay up while the climate talks take place.
Global South Demands Climate Justice
by Jennifer Krill, Adrian Wilson.Dec 09, 2009
- Delegates from developing nations are worried about the fairness of the COP-15 process after the leakage of an early negotiation text.
Copenhagen's Conscience: The Youth Climate Movement Won't Settle
by Jessy TolkanDec 08, 2009
- Youth activists are playing an important role: refusing to allow the smallness of politics to stand in the way of the fair and globally-binding deal that our generation demands for survival.
Video: It's Hot in Here Dance
by Brooke JarvisDec 08, 2009
- Before the summit's first plenary, young activists inject energy and passion into the proceedings.