Wes Jackson: A Perennial Revolution in Agriculture
by Ken MeterNov 30, 2011
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: Revolutionizing agriculture with crops that grow like a prairie.
Can We Restore the Prairie—And Still Support Ourselves?
by Wes JacksonNov 22, 2011
- Since ripping open the prairie for modern monocultures, we're losing soil and fertility. Agricultural pioneer Wes Jackson says there's another way.
Farming With the Wild
by Dan ImhoffNov 05, 2011
- Photo Essay: How agriculture and wildlands can both flourish—together.
Removing the Elwha Dam
Nov 01, 2011
- Plans to restore the Elwha River on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state begin with the removal of a dam that's stood for almost a century.
Gold or Water: The Fight Goes on in El Salvador
by Robin Broad, John CavanaghOct 10, 2011
- With the eyes of the world on mass protests against corporate control of governments, El Salvador debates a new ban on gold mining.
Red State Ranchers Vs. the Pipeline
Oct 07, 2011
- Nebraska isn’t known for environmental activism—but an oil pipeline that would cross the Ogallala aquifer is changing that.
by Rebecca BurgessAug 19, 2011
- We often think about local food—but what about local fabric? Photos from one woman’s quest to know her “fibershed.”
Join In: The People v. the Pipeline
Aug 11, 2011
- Join us for a live Twitter chat at 8 p.m. EST with YES! executive editor Sarah van Gelder, Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben, and others on the controversial tar sands pipeline and the mass civil disobedience kicking off next week to fight it.
Harnessing the Multiplier Effect
by Nathanael MasseyJun 17, 2011
- We're all familiar with vicious cycles. But what happens when solutions build on each other?
A Link Between Tornadoes and Climate Change? Never!
Jun 08, 2011
- Tornadoes, fires, floods, crop failures—they're all isolated events, right? This powerful video helps connect the dots of the climate catastrophe.
Connecting Prisons With Nature
by Benjamin Drummond, Sara Joy SteeleMay 06, 2011
- Video: Can prisons save money and the environment while changing lives?
Film Review: Queen of the Sun
May 01, 2011
- How bees can save us—but only if we save them.
Wildlife Right of Way
by Sarah KuckApr 28, 2011
- Big mammals shouldn't be a casualty of modern society. They could make a comeback—if we give them what they need most: room to roam.
How to Fight Fracking and Win
Apr 26, 2011
- What started as one couple's fight against gas drilling in their local park grew into a campaign to save more than 700,000 acres of Pennsylvania forest.
Learning from the Biosphere
by David KortenApr 25, 2011
- Life provides us with time-tested system design principles. We violate them at our peril.