WTO Rules Against Labeling Meat
by Lauren HardyAug 29, 2012
- Now the U.S. has to gut a law that protects consumers from imported mystery meat—or pay the price.
“The Fight Against Fossil Fuel Giants Is the Fight of Our Time”
by Bill McKibbenAug 28, 2012
- Bill McKibben used to think that lack of action to stabilize the climate came from widespread apathy, denial, or comfort with the status quo. Here’s what made him change his mind.
Infographic: An All-Local Meal in Appalachia
Aug 21, 2012
- In today's Appalachia, it's possible to eat an entire meal in which every ingredient was sourced from within 40 miles of your table.
Breaking Through Concrete: An Urban Farm Roadtrip
by David Hanson, Edwin Marty, Michael HansonAug 17, 2012
- Farmers across the country are taking to rooftops, vacant lots, any space they can find to build an urban farm revival.
A Critical Mass for Real Food
by Anim SteelAug 06, 2012
- The old logic of the slave plantation is still the logic of our industrial food system, 500 years in the making. There’s a new way of thinking taking off.
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon HayesJun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.
From Gangs to Gardens: How Community Agriculture Transformed Quesada Avenue
by Katherine GustafsonMay 30, 2012
- Ten years ago, the residents of the crime-ridden neighborhood started planting gardens—and everything changed.
The Case for a Morality of Radical Caution
by Robert JensenMay 17, 2012
- Robert Jensen works through his underlying rationale for making moral judgments, such as about meat-eating and abortion.
Mobile Slaughterhouses Help Meat Go Local
by Katherine GustafsonMay 10, 2012
- Scarcity of certified processing facilities is one reason the meat industry is so consolidated—so farmer Bruce Dunlop invented a mobile slaughterhouse.
Growing Cities: An Urban Farming Road Trip
May 04, 2012
- Can farming revitalize our cities and change the way we eat? Follow two friends across the United States to find out.
Taking Monsanto to the People’s Court
by Blair BravermanApr 30, 2012
- With the legal system failing to hold Monsanto accountable, Iowans convened a court of public opinion.
Farmers Markets Move Online
by Katherine GustafsonApr 26, 2012
- Regional, web-based services to connect small-time growers to consumers are popping up around the country.
At the Crossroads of Climate and Food
by Richard ConlinMar 25, 2012
- What role do cities have in promoting climate-friendly food?
Just Label It: Let Us Know It’s GMO
Feb 24, 2012
- Because wouldn’t it be nice if they had to tell you what’s in your food?
Organic Farmers Take Monsanto to Court
by April DávilaFeb 12, 2012
- Why hundreds of thousands are seeking protection from the seed giant.