My Prices Are Not Too High: A Farmer Fires Back
by Shannon HayesJan 30, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Why are my prices higher than those at the supermarket? Glad you asked.
Beyond “Free” or “Fair” Trade: Mexican Farmers Go Local
by Mike WoldJan 23, 2012
- We usually think of the demand for local, organic foods as coming from the North. But in southern Mexico, the growing localist movement is a strategy for survival.
For Farmers Everywhere, Small is (Still) Beautiful
by Robin Broad, John CavanaghJan 17, 2012
- Whether you’re worried about hunger, social crises, or climate change, the solution is the same: small-scale farming.
From the Farm to the Occupation
by Shannon HayesDec 07, 2011
- Shannon Hayes on taking farm politics to Occupy Wall Street...and talking about the politics of Occupy in her farming community.
Will Allen: Growing Justice in Food Deserts
by Doug PibelDec 06, 2011
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: Creating access to affordable fresh food in low-income neighborhoods.
Can We Restore the Prairie—And Still Support Ourselves?
by Wes JacksonNov 22, 2011
- Since ripping open the prairie for modern monocultures, we're losing soil and fertility. Agricultural pioneer Wes Jackson says there's another way.
Farming With the Wild
by Dan ImhoffNov 05, 2011
- Photo Essay: How agriculture and wildlands can both flourish—together.
Women Farmers Feed the World
by Christa HillstromOct 22, 2011
- In Africa, women’s resistance to the new Green Revolution shows that the question of agricultural sustainability is also a question of equality.
Reflections on Transforming the Food System
Oct 06, 2011
- YES! readers respond to Madhu Suri Prakash and Wendell Berry.
The Innocence Project and Prison Food
by Jing FongSep 22, 2011
- Use the Innocence Project’s interactive resources to understand the causes of wrongful convictions and exonerations, and see how your school's cafeteria food measures up to prison food with this tell-it-like-it is infographic.
Young Farmers: A Growing Movement
by Fran KortenSep 20, 2011
- In spite of the daily discouraging environmental, political, and economic news, coaxing living things to grow somehow seems to make folks optimistic.
7 Ways to Cook Up a Sustainable Diet
by Vicki RobinSep 08, 2011
- Get ready for No Impact Week: Helpful tips for planet-friendly eating.
From Farm to Corner Store
by Lily HicksAug 28, 2011
- Getting healthy food on the shelves of convenience stores could be the first step toward replenishing food deserts.
The Down and Dirty Movement to Reinvent Farming
Aug 13, 2011
- The Greenhorns documentary follows young farmers who are digging their way to an agricultural revolution.
American Wasteland: How America Throws Away Nearly Half of its Food
by Laura KaliebeJul 14, 2011
- Book review: Jonathan Bloom’s “American Wasteland” and the ethical side of food disposal.