How To Eat Like Our Lives Depend On It: Rediscovering the Many Joys of Food
by Sarah van GelderNov 19, 2013
- It's time to reclaim the well-being and exuberance that is part of healthy food culture.
Vandana Shiva On Resisting GMOs: "Saving Seeds Is a Political Act"
by Sarah van GelderNov 15, 2013
- Why the fight for biodiversity is about protecting life itself.
Will the Tropical Island of Kauai Be the Next Front in GMO Fight?
by Maureen Nandini MitraNov 14, 2013
- Local lawmakers will vote today on whether to overturn the mayor's veto of a bill to regulate the use of pesticides on the Hawaiian island.
Dear Michelle Obama: If We Want to Curb Childhood Obesity, Sesame Street Is Not Going to Cut It
by Erin SagenNov 08, 2013
- Can a licensing deal between Sesame Street and the Produce Marketing Association truly improve childhood health? Maybe, but grassroots solutions already exist.
Stephen Colbert on GMO Labeling Fail: "Just Eat It"
by YES! online staffNov 07, 2013
- Frustrated with Monsanto's latest triumph over the grassroots movement to label genetically modified foods? Stephen Colbert lets you laugh about it.
Monsanto May Have Won the Battle for I-522, But the Future of Food Is Not Lost
by Erin SagenNov 06, 2013
- As final results come in for Initiative 522, advocates of GMO labeling are saying we need to change the system, not just the supermarket.
Concealed by Shutdown-Related Headlines, a Big Week in Food Politics
by Erin SagenOct 18, 2013
- In case you were distracted by Tea Party antics this week, here's a rundown of important developments in GMOs, sustainable farming, and other food news.
Will a Secretive International Trade Deal Ban GMO Labeling?
by James TrimarcoOct 18, 2013
- The Trans Pacific Partnership is likely to be a setback for efforts to regulate and label GMO foods.
3 Ways Obamacare Will Help You Out (Even If You're Off the Grid)
by Shannon HayesOct 16, 2013
- Self-reliant farmer types may not think they need help from the government. But they need affordable health insurance at least as much as the rest of us.
Think You Understand GMO Labeling? Take Our Quiz and Find Out!
by Erin SagenOct 16, 2013
- Do you fully understand the complex layers of legal, scientific, and political information at play in the fight over Initiative 522?
Writer and Farmer Wendell Berry on Hope, Direct Action, and the "Resettling" of the American Countryside
by YES! online staffOct 11, 2013
- In this rare television interview, the poet, farmer, and activist Wendell Berry discusses his vision for a society in harmony with the planet.
Market Offers Wealth of Tradition—and Veggies—for Immigrant Farmers and Shoppers
by Sarah Meade, Laura-Anne Minkoff-ZernOct 07, 2013
- Many Latino immigrants have agriculture in their past. A market in suburban Maryland makes it possible for them to put that knowledge to work in the here and now.
Vandana Shiva: Food, Ethics, and Sustainability
by YES! online staffSep 21, 2013
- At Yes! Magazine's event at Seattle Town Hall, Vandana Shiva gives deep insight into the struggles farmers—and eaters—are facing today.
4 Ways to Share the Season’s Harvest (and Make Friends Doing It)
by Katrina Rabeler, Chris FrancisSep 13, 2013
- Guerrilla grafting, crop mobs, and other ways to make the fruits of your labor go further.
Farmer Startups? How Incubators Are Helping Small, Sustainable Farms Take Off
by Alleen BrownSep 11, 2013
- Training farms known as incubators are helping immigrants and others get into farming. But Congressional wrangling over the Farm Bill has put their future in question.