Paradise Farmed: Inside Kaua'i's Local Food Movement
by James TrimarcoJan 23, 2014
- The issue of local food is more urgent when you're more than 2,400 miles away from the nearest continent.
Infographic: 13 Ways Europe Does Food Safer, Cleaner, and Kinder
by YES! EditorsJan 17, 2014
- How does the United States stack up against the European Union on food safety issues like GMOs, hormones, questionable chemicals, and other food additives?
How a Fruit and Vegetable Auction in Rural Ohio Helps Appalachian Farmers Thrive
by Erin L. McCoyJan 13, 2014
- Produce auctions are getting fresh vegetables into food deserts, building community, and helping rural farmers earn a living.
A Chef's Perspective on Revering Life—Even When It’s Raised to Be Slaughtered
by Lisa HarrisJan 07, 2014
- I always knew the goats across the street were raised for food, but this was my first personal relationship with an animal that would later become my food.
What I Learned from a Month on the Ten-Mile Diet
Jan 03, 2014
- "It was a different kind of diet. I didn't count calories. I didn't count carbs. I just took 12,500 miles of food off my plate."
8 Lifestyles for Healthy Eating (and They All Include Kale!)
by YES! EditorsJan 01, 2014
- Have a New Year's resolution to eat better in the coming year? We set out to find out what a healthy diet really looks like. Turns out, they all have a few things in common.
What I Learned About Living Well In My Mother’s Puerto Rican Kitchen
by Melinda GonzalezDec 24, 2013
- When I was growing up, the conveniences of modern life took over my mother’s kitchen, and our health declined as a result. Here’s what happened when we went back to the way our ancestors dined.
Bacteria’s Bad Rap: 6 Reasons Fermented Foods Are Good For You
by Sandor KatzDec 13, 2013
- Coffee, chocolate, cheese, beer—it’s rare for anyone to get through a day without eating fermented foods celebrated for their powerful flavors and unique healing qualities.
The Surprising Healing Qualities ... of Dirt
by Daphne MillerDec 06, 2013
- A doctor discovers exposure to healthy farm soil holds keys to healthy bodies.
How The King of Portland's Deli Scene Cured His Diabetes Through Diet (and Kept the Pastrami)
by Ken GordonDec 04, 2013
- When this foodie chef was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, he figured out how to get healthy without giving up his favorite foods.
Frances Moore Lappé: Delicious Food Is Not An Indulgence—It’s a Way to Solve Our Ecological Crises
by Frances Moore LappeNov 27, 2013
- Since I first published “Diet for a Small Planet” in 1971, the movement for food that is good for our bodies and our planet has blossomed beyond what I ever imagined. Here’s how.
What Occupy Oakland Taught Me About Healthy Eating
by AshEL EldridgeNov 26, 2013
- We came to Occupy because of America’s dangerous gap between rich and poor. But equally distressing was how many of us suffered from diseases created by a food system that makes healthy food inaccessible to the poor.
How To Eat Like Our Lives Depend On It: Rediscovering the Many Joys of Food
by Sarah van GelderNov 19, 2013
- It's time to reclaim the well-being and exuberance that is part of healthy food culture.
Vandana Shiva On Resisting GMOs: "Saving Seeds Is a Political Act"
by Sarah van GelderNov 15, 2013
- Why the fight for biodiversity is about protecting life itself.
Will the Tropical Island of Kauai Be the Next Front in GMO Fight?
by Maureen Nandini MitraNov 14, 2013
- Local lawmakers will vote today on whether to overturn the mayor's veto of a bill to regulate the use of pesticides on the Hawaiian island.