How a Fruit and Vegetable Auction in Rural Ohio Helps Appalachian Farmers Thrive
by Erin L. McCoyJan 13, 2014
- Produce auctions are getting fresh vegetables into food deserts, building community, and helping rural farmers earn a living.
A Chef's Perspective on Revering Life—Even When It’s Raised to Be Slaughtered
by Lisa HarrisJan 07, 2014
- I always knew the goats across the street were raised for food, but this was my first personal relationship with an animal that would later become my food.
What I Learned from a Month on the Ten-Mile Diet
Jan 03, 2014
- "It was a different kind of diet. I didn't count calories. I didn't count carbs. I just took 12,500 miles of food off my plate."
8 Lifestyles for Healthy Eating (and They All Include Kale!)
by YES! EditorsJan 01, 2014
- Have a New Year's resolution to eat better in the coming year? We set out to find out what a healthy diet really looks like. Turns out, they all have a few things in common.
What I Learned About Living Well In My Mother’s Puerto Rican Kitchen
by Melinda GonzalezDec 24, 2013
- When I was growing up, the conveniences of modern life took over my mother’s kitchen, and our health declined as a result. Here’s what happened when we went back to the way our ancestors dined.
6 Reasons to Eat Fermented Foods
by Sandor KatzDec 13, 2013
- Live-culture revivalist Sandor Katz explains why letting some foods go bad makes them even better—increasing both flavor and nutrition.
The Surprising Healing Qualities ... of Dirt
by Daphne MillerDec 06, 2013
- A doctor discovers exposure to healthy farm soil holds keys to healthy bodies.
The King of Portland’s Deli Scene Cured His Diabetes Through Diet
by Ken GordonDec 04, 2013
- After I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, I figured out how to get healthy without giving up my favorite foods.
Delicious Food Is Not an Indulgence—It’s a Way to Solve Our Ecological Crises
by Frances Moore LappeNov 27, 2013
- Food became my teacher, and I aligned my taste buds with what the people and planet need.
What Occupy Oakland Taught Me About Healthy Eating
by AshEL EldridgeNov 26, 2013
- We came to Occupy because of America’s dangerous gap between rich and poor. But equally distressing was how many of us suffered from diseases created by a food system that makes healthy food inaccessible to the poor.
How To Eat Like Our Lives Depend On It: Rediscovering the Many Joys of Food
by Sarah van GelderNov 19, 2013
- It's time to reclaim the well-being and exuberance that is part of healthy food culture.
Why Vandana Shiva Says Saving Seeds Is a Political Act
by Sarah van GelderNov 15, 2013
- ‘‘A seed sown in the soil makes us one with the Earth. It makes us realize that we are the Earth.”
Will the Tropical Island of Kauai Be the Next Front in GMO Fight?
by Maureen Nandini MitraNov 14, 2013
- Local lawmakers will vote today on whether to overturn the mayor's veto of a bill to regulate the use of pesticides on the Hawaiian island.
Dear Michelle Obama: If We Want to Curb Childhood Obesity, Sesame Street Is Not Going to Cut It
by Erin SagenNov 08, 2013
- Can a licensing deal between Sesame Street and the Produce Marketing Association truly improve childhood health? Maybe, but grassroots solutions already exist.
Stephen Colbert on GMO Labeling Fail: "Just Eat It"
by YES! online staffNov 07, 2013
- Frustrated with Monsanto's latest triumph over the grassroots movement to label genetically modified foods? Stephen Colbert lets you laugh about it.