8 Lifestyles for Healthy Eating (and They All Include Kale!)
by YES! EditorsJan 01, 2014
- Have a New Year's resolution to eat better in the coming year? We set out to find out what a healthy diet really looks like. Turns out, they all have a few things in common.
What I Learned About Living Well In My Mother’s Puerto Rican Kitchen
by Melinda GonzalezDec 24, 2013
- When I was growing up, the conveniences of modern life took over my mother’s kitchen, and our health declined as a result. Here’s what happened when we went back to the way our ancestors dined.
6 Reasons to Eat Fermented Foods
by Sandor KatzDec 13, 2013
- Live-culture revivalist Sandor Katz explains why letting some foods go bad makes them even better—increasing both flavor and nutrition.
The Surprising Healing Qualities ... of Dirt
by Daphne MillerDec 06, 2013
- A doctor discovers exposure to healthy farm soil holds keys to healthy bodies.
The King of Portland’s Deli Scene Cured His Diabetes Through Diet
by Ken GordonDec 04, 2013
- After I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, I figured out how to get healthy without giving up my favorite foods.
Delicious Food Is Not an Indulgence—It’s a Way to Solve Our Ecological Crises
by Frances Moore LappeNov 27, 2013
- Food became my teacher, and I aligned my taste buds with what the people and planet need.
What Occupy Oakland Taught Me About Healthy Eating
by AshEL EldridgeNov 26, 2013
- We came to Occupy because of America’s dangerous gap between rich and poor. But equally distressing was how many of us suffered from diseases created by a food system that makes healthy food inaccessible to the poor.
How To Eat Like Our Lives Depend On It: Rediscovering the Many Joys of Food
by Sarah van GelderNov 19, 2013
- It's time to reclaim the well-being and exuberance that is part of healthy food culture.
Why Vandana Shiva Says Saving Seeds Is a Political Act
by Sarah van GelderNov 15, 2013
- ‘‘A seed sown in the soil makes us one with the Earth. It makes us realize that we are the Earth.”
Will the Tropical Island of Kauai Be the Next Front in GMO Fight?
by Maureen Nandini MitraNov 14, 2013
- Local lawmakers will vote today on whether to overturn the mayor's veto of a bill to regulate the use of pesticides on the Hawaiian island.
Dear Michelle Obama: If We Want to Curb Childhood Obesity, Sesame Street Is Not Going to Cut It
by Erin SagenNov 08, 2013
- Can a licensing deal between Sesame Street and the Produce Marketing Association truly improve childhood health? Maybe, but grassroots solutions already exist.
Stephen Colbert on GMO Labeling Fail: "Just Eat It"
by YES! online staffNov 07, 2013
- Frustrated with Monsanto's latest triumph over the grassroots movement to label genetically modified foods? Stephen Colbert lets you laugh about it.
Monsanto May Have Won the Battle for I-522, But the Future of Food Is Not Lost
by Erin SagenNov 06, 2013
- As final results come in for Initiative 522, advocates of GMO labeling are saying we need to change the system, not just the supermarket.
Concealed by Shutdown-Related Headlines, a Big Week in Food Politics
by Erin SagenOct 18, 2013
- In case you were distracted by Tea Party antics this week, here's a rundown of important developments in GMOs, sustainable farming, and other food news.
Will a Secretive International Trade Deal Ban GMO Labeling?
by James TrimarcoOct 18, 2013
- The Trans Pacific Partnership is likely to be a setback for efforts to regulate and label GMO foods.