Healthy for you, your community, and the planet.
Beyond “Free” or “Fair” Trade: Mexican Farmers Go Local
by Mike Woldposted Jan 23, 2012
- We usually think of the demand for local, organic foods as coming from the North. But in southern Mexico, the growing localist movement is a strategy for survival.
For Farmers Everywhere, Small is (Still) Beautiful
by Robin Broad, John Cavanaghposted Jan 17, 2012
- Whether you’re worried about hunger, social crises, or climate change, the solution is the same: small-scale farming.
From the Farm to the Occupation
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 07, 2011
- Shannon Hayes on taking farm politics to Occupy Wall Street...and talking about the politics of Occupy in her farming community.
Will Allen: Growing Justice in Food Deserts
by Doug Pibelposted Dec 06, 2011
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: Creating access to affordable fresh food in low-income neighborhoods.
Visual Learning: We Are the 99%
posted Nov 23, 2011
- With this YES! lesson plan, try to truly understand an image, its message, and why it's interesting (or not). In this case, it's all about animals as food.
Can We Restore the Prairie—And Still Support Ourselves?
by Wes Jacksonposted Nov 22, 2011
- Since ripping open the prairie for modern monocultures, we're losing soil and fertility. Agricultural pioneer Wes Jackson says there's another way.
Farming With the Wild
by Dan Imhoffposted Nov 05, 2011
- Photo Essay: How agriculture and wildlands can both flourish—together.
Women Farmers Feed the World
by Christa Hillstromposted Oct 22, 2011
- Grassroots food activist Fatou Batta on why the question of agricultural sustainability is also a question of equality.
Reflections on Transforming the Food System
posted Oct 06, 2011
- YES! readers respond to Madhu Suri Prakash and Wendell Berry.
Curriculum & Resources: The Innocence Project and Prison Food
posted Sep 22, 2011
- Use the Innocence Project’s interactive resources to understand the causes of wrongful convictions and exonerations, and see how your school's cafeteria food measures up to prison food with this tell-it-like-it is infographic.
Young Farmers: A Growing Movement
by Fran Kortenposted Sep 20, 2011
- In spite of the daily discouraging environmental, political, and economic news, coaxing living things to grow somehow seems to make folks optimistic.
7 Ways to Cook Up a Sustainable Diet
by Vicki Robinposted Sep 08, 2011
- Get ready for No Impact Week: Helpful tips for planet-friendly eating.
From Farm to Corner Store
by Lily Hicksposted Aug 28, 2011
- Getting healthy food on the shelves of convenience stores could be the first step toward replenishing food deserts.
The Down and Dirty Movement to Reinvent Farming
posted Aug 13, 2011
- The Greenhorns documentary follows young farmers who are digging their way to an agricultural revolution.
American Wasteland: How America Throws Away Nearly Half of its Food
by Laura Kaliebeposted Jul 14, 2011
- Book review: Jonathan Bloom’s “American Wasteland” and the ethical side of food disposal.