Healthy for you, your community, and the planet.
Infographic: An All-Local Meal in Appalachia
posted Aug 21, 2012
- In today's Appalachia, it's possible to eat an entire meal in which every ingredient was sourced from within 40 miles of your table.
Breaking Through Concrete: An Urban Farm Roadtrip
by David Hanson, Edwin Marty, Michael Hansonposted Aug 17, 2012
- Farmers across the country are taking to rooftops, vacant lots, any space they can find to build an urban farm revival.
A Critical Mass for Real Food
by Anim Steelposted Aug 06, 2012
- The old logic of the slave plantation is still the logic of our industrial food system, 500 years in the making. There’s a new way of thinking taking off.
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon Hayesposted Jun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.
From Gangs to Gardens: How Community Agriculture Transformed Quesada Avenue
by Katherine Gustafsonposted May 30, 2012
- Ten years ago, the residents of the crime-ridden neighborhood started planting gardens—and everything changed.
The Case for a Morality of Radical Caution
by Robert Jensenposted May 17, 2012
- Robert Jensen works through his underlying rationale for making moral judgments, such as about meat-eating and abortion.
Mobile Slaughterhouses Help Meat Go Local
by Katherine Gustafsonposted May 10, 2012
- Scarcity of certified processing facilities is one reason the meat industry is so consolidated—so farmer Bruce Dunlop invented a mobile slaughterhouse.
Growing Cities: An Urban Farming Road Trip
posted May 04, 2012
- Can farming revitalize our cities and change the way we eat? Follow two friends across the United States to find out.
Taking Monsanto to the People’s Court
by Blair Bravermanposted Apr 30, 2012
- With the legal system failing to hold Monsanto accountable, Iowans convened a court of public opinion.
Farmers Markets Move Online
by Katherine Gustafsonposted Apr 26, 2012
- Regional, web-based services to connect small-time growers to consumers are popping up around the country.
At the Crossroads of Climate and Food
by Richard Conlinposted Mar 25, 2012
- What role do cities have in promoting climate-friendly food?
Just Label It: Let Us Know It’s GMO
posted Feb 24, 2012
- Because wouldn’t it be nice if they had to tell you what’s in your food?
Organic Farmers Take Monsanto to Court
by April Dávilaposted Feb 12, 2012
- Why hundreds of thousands are seeking protection from the seed giant.
Book Review: Urban Homesteading
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Feb 07, 2012
- Heirloom skills for sustainable living.
Farmers Go Wild
by Abby Quillenposted Feb 06, 2012
- Going beyond organic, a new generation of farmers is nurturing nature as well as crops.