10 Ways To Love Where You Live
by Ross ChapinJun 14, 2012
- How to build community here and now—because neighborhoods are more than houses in proximity.
How to Build Green on a Budget
by Jennifer AtleeMay 25, 2012
- The challenge: build the greenest houses on earth—and make them affordable.
Real Homes: Small, Frugal, and Green
by Doug PibelMay 23, 2012
- With 5 million houses in foreclosure, we are rediscovering that living sustainably includes living affordably.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella JenkinsMay 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
6 Ideas for Sensible Homes
by Heidi BruceMay 09, 2012
- Small, supportive, affordable, recycled—and you can build your own.
Growing Cities: An Urban Farming Road Trip
May 04, 2012
- Can farming revitalize our cities and change the way we eat? Follow two friends across the United States to find out.
6 Tips for Green Pet Care
by Jennifer Kaye, Lindsay KuceraApr 23, 2012
- Sustainable, low-cost, and natural ways to care for your critters.
Reclaim, Recycle, and Reimagine Your House
Apr 02, 2012
- Just because a 2x4 isn't straight doesn't mean it can't be used. Meet a contractor who would rather raid the dump than the lumber aisle.
Book Review: Urban Homesteading
by Oliver LazenbyFeb 07, 2012
- Heirloom skills for sustainable living.
4 New Ideas for a Bicycle Planet
by Kate Malongowski, Jennifer KayeJan 11, 2012
- A school bus pedaled by kids, the world’s largest bike-share, and other innovations that are changing how we cycle.
Visual Learning: To Dye For
by Idil LevitasDec 21, 2011
- This Visual Learning lesson will get your students thinking about where their clothes come from and how colorful fabric is made.
Blizzards Got You Feeling Down? Try These 6 Recipes for Winter Wellness
by Jennifer Kaye, Kate MalongowskiDec 20, 2011
- From rose hip syrup to "fire cider," natural remedies can help you fight seasonal maladies.
Pittsburgh Rides it Forward
by Kate MalongowskiDec 20, 2011
- Get a bike, fix a bike, give a bike—how a local collective spreads the love of cycling.
Let’s Unstuff the Holidays
by Fran KortenDec 01, 2011
- I longed for simpler surroundings. So I made a resolution: Each week I would move more stuff out of the house than came in.
A Vending Machine—for Bikes
by Jennifer KayeNov 19, 2011
- In Minneapolis, two entrepreneurs invented a new way of bringing bike-repair tools to cyclists on the road.