How Cities Can Get Drivers Biking
by Jay WalljasperJul 27, 2012
- How can planners attract the 60 percent of Americans who say they would bike more if they felt more secure? The answer could be cheap and simple.
How to Save Bats in Your Own Backyard
by Heidi Bruce, Shannan StollJul 17, 2012
- Bats are mammals, shy creatures of the night, and fascinating to watch. They’re also endangered by loss of habitat, disease, and pesticide poisoning. You can help by providing protection.
How to Build a Bike Train
by Maya JacobsJun 21, 2012
- Forty years ago, almost half of American kids biked to school. A smart idea for getting kids pedaling again.
10 Ways To Love Where You Live
by Ross ChapinJun 14, 2012
- How to build community here and now—because neighborhoods are more than houses in proximity.
How to Build Green on a Budget
by Jennifer AtleeMay 25, 2012
- The challenge: build the greenest houses on earth—and make them affordable.
Real Homes: Small, Frugal, and Green
by Doug PibelMay 23, 2012
- With 5 million houses in foreclosure, we are rediscovering that living sustainably includes living affordably.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella JenkinsMay 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
6 Ideas for Sensible Homes
by Heidi BruceMay 09, 2012
- Small, supportive, affordable, recycled—and you can build your own.
Growing Cities: An Urban Farming Road Trip
May 04, 2012
- Can farming revitalize our cities and change the way we eat? Follow two friends across the United States to find out.
6 Tips for Green Pet Care
by Jennifer Kaye, Lindsay KuceraApr 23, 2012
- Sustainable, low-cost, and natural ways to care for your critters.
Reclaim, Recycle, and Reimagine Your House
Apr 02, 2012
- Just because a 2x4 isn't straight doesn't mean it can't be used. Meet a contractor who would rather raid the dump than the lumber aisle.
Book Review: Urban Homesteading
by Oliver LazenbyFeb 07, 2012
- Heirloom skills for sustainable living.
4 New Ideas for a Bicycle Planet
by Kate Malongowski, Jennifer KayeJan 11, 2012
- A school bus pedaled by kids, the world’s largest bike-share, and other innovations that are changing how we cycle.
Visual Learning: To Dye For
by Idil LevitasDec 21, 2011
- This Visual Learning lesson will get your students thinking about where their clothes come from and how colorful fabric is made.
Blizzards Got You Feeling Down? Try These 6 Recipes for Winter Wellness
by Jennifer Kaye, Kate MalongowskiDec 20, 2011
- From rose hip syrup to "fire cider," natural remedies can help you fight seasonal maladies.