Green Living Tips
How to shrink the footprint of everyday life.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella Jenkinsposted May 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
6 Ideas for Sensible Homes
posted May 09, 2012
- Small, supportive, affordable, recycled—and you can build your own.
Growing Cities: An Urban Farming Road Trip
posted May 04, 2012
- Can farming revitalize our cities and change the way we eat? Follow two friends across the United States to find out.
6 Tips for Green Pet Care
by Jennifer Kaye, Lindsay Kuceraposted Apr 23, 2012
- Sustainable, low-cost, and natural ways to care for your critters.
Reclaim, Recycle, and Reimagine Your House
posted Apr 02, 2012
- Just because a 2x4 isn't straight doesn't mean it can't be used. Meet a contractor who would rather raid the dump than the lumber aisle.
Book Review: Urban Homesteading
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Feb 07, 2012
- Heirloom skills for sustainable living.
4 New Ideas for a Bicycle Planet
by Kate Malongowski, Jennifer Kayeposted Jan 11, 2012
- A school bus pedaled by kids, the world’s largest bike-share, and other innovations that are changing how we cycle.
Visual Learning: To Dye For
posted Dec 21, 2011
- With this YES! lesson plan, try to truly understand an image, its message, and why it's interesting (or not). In this case, it's all about where we get our clothes.
6 Recipes for Winter Wellness
by Jennifer Kaye, Kate Malongowskiposted Dec 20, 2011
- Fight seasonal maladies the natural way.
Pittsburgh Rides it Forward
by Kate Malongowskiposted Dec 20, 2011
- Get a bike, fix a bike, give a bike—how a local collective spreads the love of cycling.
Let’s Unstuff the Holidays
by Fran Kortenposted Dec 01, 2011
- I longed for simpler surroundings. So I made a resolution: Each week I would move more stuff out of the house than came in.
A Vending Machine—for Bikes
by Jennifer Kayeposted Nov 19, 2011
- In Minneapolis, two entrepreneurs invented a new way of bringing bike-repair tools to cyclists on the road.
10 Tips for a Zero-Waste Household
by Bea Johnsonposted Sep 14, 2011
- A year’s worth of solid waste from Bea Johnson’s home fits in a quart-sized jar. Here's how you can reduce yours.
7 Ways to Cook Up a Sustainable Diet
by Vicki Robinposted Sep 08, 2011
- Get ready for No Impact Week: Helpful tips for planet-friendly eating.
Get Ready for No Impact Tuesday: Transportation
posted Sep 01, 2011
- Burn calories, not fossil fuels: Steps to prepare for Day 3 of No Impact Week on September 20th.