Obama’s Quiet Climate Legacy: A $5 Trillion College Divestment Campaign
by Stephen MillerJan 19, 2017
- Inspired by a president they propelled to office, college students have led a successful effort to pressure institutions to divest from fossil fuels.
Why Your Urine Is Too Good to Waste
by Carrie Koplinka-LoehrJan 17, 2017
- Almost all of the nitrogen and phosphorous we ingest comes out of our bodies — what if we could return it to the soil?
Utah’s New National Monument Marks Big Win for the Protection of Indigenous Cultural Sites
by Jacqueline KeelerJan 06, 2017
- By permanently protecting an area rich in indigenous cultural history, Obama has shown that some things are worth more than money.
This Small Town Refused to Settle for Wal-Mart When Its Last Local Grocery Store Closed
by Melissa HellmannJan 02, 2017
- After 10 years without an independent grocery store, the residents of Iola, Kansas, found a way to bring one back.
10 Indigenous and Environmental Struggles—And How You Can Help in 2017
by The Indigenous #NoDAPL CoalitionJan 01, 2017
- Whom to call, what to donate, and where to show up.
Call for Submissions: “Sanctuary Communities”
by YES! EditorsDec 29, 2016
- Send us your ideas by Jan. 25.
20 Photos: My Seven Months of Living at Standing Rock
by Desiree KaneDec 28, 2016
- The community we have built here has taught many how to live a large-scale sustainable, decolonized, anticapitalist lifestyle.
New Year, New President, and Our Promise
by YES! EditorsDec 27, 2016
- We represent independent journalism. Even in the darkest times, you can depend on us to find the progressive solutions that will heal the planet and improve the lives of the many.
It Wasn’t All Bad: 5 Signs of Positive Change in 2016
by Sarah van GelderDec 27, 2016
- The election divided the year into “before” and “after.” But there remain signs of hope for 2017.
From Growing Edible Forests to Banking Heirloom Seeds, Solutions to Keeping Your Food Local
by Erin Sagen and Araz HachadourianDec 26, 2016
- Three creative ways to strengthen local food economies.
Standing Rock Prepared Us for Trump’s Billionaires and Oil Giants
by Mark TrahantDec 26, 2016
- Continuing to shrink our oil consumption is one way to challenge the oil uber alles mentality of the Trump administration.
How Community Land Trusts Can Fix Detroit’s Foreclosure Mess
by Abigail Savitch-LewDec 23, 2016
- Nearly 1 in 6 properties across the city faced tax foreclosure last year. Land trusts are one way to keep buildings—whether housing or businesses—permanently affordable.
7 Things the Defund DAPL Campaign Has Achieved So Far (Including $28 Million in Personal Accounts Moved)
by Ari PaulDec 22, 2016
- Public and consumer pressure on banks to quit financing the Dakota Access pipeline companies is producing results.
Arctic Waters Have Been Rescued From Drilling, But What About the Land?
by Brennan LagasseDec 22, 2016
- Time is running out for Obama to say no to Big Oil and permanently protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge—and the people who depend on it.
Why I Kneeled Before Standing Rock Elders and Asked For Forgiveness
by Sarah van GelderDec 21, 2016
- “We fought you. We took your land. We signed treaties that we broke … But we’ve come to say that we are sorry.”