Climate and Capitalism in Copenhagen
by Walden BelloDec 02, 2009
- The climate problem cannot be addressed without addressing capitalism's incessant drive, motivated by the search for profit, to transform living nature into dead commodities.
Using the Clean Air Act to Cap Carbon
Dec 02, 2009
- Two environmental groups petitioned the EPA to use the Clean Air Act to cap carbon dioxide at 350 parts per million.
Annie Leonard on Life After Stuff
by Annie LeonardDec 01, 2009
- Annie Leonard reveals what gives her strength, even as she and her popular film, The Story of Stuff, are attacked as un-American.
Climate Action: What Will it Take to Avert Disastrous Climate Change?
by Sarah van Gelder, Madeline Ostrander, Doug PibelDec 01, 2009
- We thought we had 20, 30, 50 years to take on the climate crisis. We were wrong. The scary science, smart policies, and critical actions that could still avert disaster.
Why We Find It So Hard to Act Against Climate Change
by George MarshallDec 01, 2009
- Solving the “It’s not my problem” problem. A psychologist on what keeps us from coming to terms with the climate crisis.
The Story of Cap & Trade
by Annie LeonardDec 01, 2009
- Annie Leonard's newest video asks tough questions about who cap & trade really benefits—and what effect it would really have on climate change.
The Climate Justice Movement Breaks Through
by Mark EnglerDec 01, 2009
- Direct Action Heats Up. As the urgency of the crisis grows, so do the world’s climate justice movements.
How to Break the Climate Stalemate Between the Global South and the North
by Gopal Dayaneni, Mateo NubeDec 01, 2009
- Rich and poor countries are in this together. If either fails to step up, the planet is in trouble. A climate deal must take into account the Global North’s responsibility for nearly 70 percent of greenhouse pollution and the Global South’s need to move out of poverty. The North must cut back sharply on emissions while the South leapfrogs over the industrial age to clean-energy prosperity.
Who's Polluting the Climate Conversation?
by James HogganDec 01, 2009
- The money, CEOs, and Astroturf groups behind the climate deniers.
There's Still Enough Time to Avert Climate Chaos
by Sarah van GelderDec 01, 2009
- Editor Sarah van Gelder's introduction to Climate Action, the Winter 2010 issue of YES! Magazine.
Fight Climate Change: Live the Good Life
by Colin BeavanDec 01, 2009
- Low-carbon living isn’t a sacrifice. Colin Beavan says it’s the good life.
Towns Rush to Make Low-Carbon Transition
by Tara LohanDec 01, 2009
- More and more neighborhoods are making the transition to a climate-friendly community. Has yours?
A Fast Track from Coal to Clean Energy
by Alisa GravitzDec 01, 2009
- New coal plants halted; new renewables coming on line. But what about the old, dirty coal plants?
Climate Solutions from South Africa, Kenya, and Bangladesh
Dec 01, 2009
- In Copenhagen, the question of climate equity will be contentious. But communities in the Global South aren’t waiting for an international agreement. They are turning to sustainable, climate-friendly solutions to address a problem they did little to create, but must nonetheless help to solve.
Climate Hero Kumi Naidoo
by Kate SheppardDec 01, 2009
- Kumi Naidoo is building a global movement to force world leaders to adopt a binding agreement on climate change. He is executive director of Greenpeace International and has led TckTckTck, a global campaign for climate action.