Voters Win More Solar Energy Options Despite Opposition From Big Energy
by Adam LynchDec 02, 2016
- Corporate-backed utilities have quashed solar initiatives for years, but residents fought back.
7 Ways to Make an Even Bigger Impact When You Divest From DAPL
by Colby DevittDec 01, 2016
- Closing your bank account is just the beginning.
Is Your Bank Funding DAPL? Here’s How to Find One That Isn’t
by Gerald MitchellDec 01, 2016
- There’s an entire industry of ethically minded banks and financial institutions out there to choose from.
“My Whole Heart Is With You Tonight”: A Letter to the Dakota Access Front Line
by Kelly HayesNov 30, 2016
- We have survived this nation-state’s will for us because we are a fire that their water cannons cannot extinguish.
How Northwest Tribes Joined Forces to Beat Fossil Fuel Initiatives
by Terri HansenNov 29, 2016
- Their victories have been inspiring to members of the Standing Rock Sioux in the fight against the Dakota Access pipeline.
The Many Ways to Help Standing Rock
by Sarah van GelderNov 29, 2016
- Even if you can’t show up at the wintry encampments, you can join water protectors in other ways: from calling the North Dakota governor to breaking up with your bank.
Why the “Rule of Law” Is a Powerful Idea for Standing Rock
by Mark TrahantNov 29, 2016
- Although the governor cites the rule of law in his eviction order, the Sioux have this: the Constitution’s Article 6, declaring “treaties as the Supreme Law of the Land.”
My Desperate Search for Environmentally Friendly Underwear
by Eben BeinNov 25, 2016
- The apparel and textile industry is one of the world’s biggest polluters. But can consumers shape a greener fashion industry with our shopping choices?
How Creative Repurposing of Industrial Scrap Is Holding Off a Neighborhood’s Gentrification
by Amanda AbramsNov 24, 2016
- 25-year old Scrap Exchange partners with Durham, North Carolina, residents to build an innovative arts district.
Sheriffs Refuse to Send Troops to Standing Rock as Public Outrage and Costs Mount
by Jenni MonetNov 23, 2016
- North Dakota is stretched thin in its battle to protect the Dakota Access pipeline construction: Costs are nearing $15 million, and police reinforcements are diminishing.
Four Ways to Look at Standing Rock: An Indigenous Perspective
by Kayla DeVaultNov 22, 2016
- In the shadow of the Trump election, I found myself explaining to world climate leaders how to see Standing Rock through an indigenous lens.
How I Stopped Mindlessly Buying Things
by Sarah LazarovicNov 22, 2016
- Stores want me to buy stuff I don’t need. The internet wants me to buy stuff I don’t need. But I finally figured it out.
What Standing Rock Needs Obama to Do Quickly—Before Trump Takes Over
by Tom Goldtooth, Annie LeonardNov 18, 2016
- Trump will try to fast-track fossil fuel projects across the country. That makes the final months of President Obama’s term more important than ever.
I Couldn’t Go to Standing Rock, So I Closed My Bank Accounts Instead
by Cedar Wilkie GilletteNov 11, 2016
- There are 38 banks supporting the Dakota Access pipeline. I found out mine was one of them.
Leader of the Standing Rock Sioux on Prayers and a President Trump
by Sarah van GelderNov 10, 2016
- “We’re about protecting our future. And that’s what he should be about.”