Seeds of Resilience
by Sarah van GelderSep 17, 2010
- Climate change, peak oil, and a stalled economy: The Fall 2010 issue of YES! Magazine shows how people step up in uncertain times to create a resilient way of life.
Can You DIY?
Sep 17, 2010
- Sweeten with honey, darn a sock, and refrigerate without electricity: Learn how to do what your grandparents knew
Roots of the Local Food Movement
Sep 15, 2010
- Photo Essay: The modern locavore movement isn't the first time Americans have appreciated the broad impact of home gardening and conservation. These wartime posters remind us of another time when the U.S. took food security literally.
Here to There: Transportation Planning in a Climate-Neutral City
by Richard ConlinSep 15, 2010
- Big transportation projects can contribute to sprawl and increase automobile use—or, they can promote biking, walking, and use of transit. Seattle is working to take the latter path.
How to Not Get Sick of Zucchini on a 10-Mile Diet
by Vicki RobinSep 15, 2010
- Sometimes, local eating means getting very creative.
Pioneers of the New Normal
by Sarah van GelderSep 14, 2010
- We’re facing a very different world than the one we knew. Here’s what people are doing to prepare …
Quality Over Quantity: Local Food & the Obesity Epidemic
by Vicki RobinSep 13, 2010
- When we sacrifice good food to have lots of food, it's a double loss. Can we use this time of thinner wallets to examine the volume of food we run through our bodies?
Clear Act: A Climate Bill That Can Pass
by Peter BarnesSep 13, 2010
- How the cap-and-cash-back bill can clear a deadlocked Senate–and make most Americans better off.
My Kingdom for a Cracker!
by Vicki RobinSep 11, 2010
- After 10 days of eating within 10 miles, I was ready to do just about anything for food made from grains.
My 10-Mile Diet ... in a Global Food System
by Vicki RobinSep 10, 2010
- My eating experiment is making me think differently about food security around the world.
Signs of Life :: Fall 2010
Sep 10, 2010
- Small stories about big change
Vandana Shiva: Alternatives to Monsanto in India
Sep 09, 2010
- Video: Vandana Shiva explains the effect of GMOs on Indian agriculture—and how to promote home-grown alternatives.
10 Resilient Ideas
Sep 09, 2010
- Ideas for building resilience from communities across the country–from a hand-made house to rooftop beekeeping.
Resilient Ideas: Processing Food Where the Food Is
by Ari LeVauxSep 09, 2010
- Helping farmers process their produce builds local food security.
Bike As You Are
by Valerie SchloredtSep 09, 2010
- Whether it's in lycra or heels, the emerging movement of "come as you are" cycling proves that anyone can bike–anytime, anywhere.