The First Rural Women Heroes of Tombouctou
May 07, 2008
- If a village in Tombouctou can be solar electrified against such tremendous odds adopting a Barefoot approach, then it is possible to replicate this process anywhere.
Blue Covenant: Maude Barlow on the Global Movement for Water Justice
by Maude BarlowApr 30, 2008
- Listen to Maude Barlow's interview with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now!
Teaching Climate: Scientists and Kids Explore Global Warming
by Gary Braasch, Lynne CherryApr 04, 2008
- Award-winning photo-journalist Gary Braasch has joined forced with kids author Lyne Cherry to tell the story behind the big climate change headlines and introduce 5-8 graders to the science of global warming.
Teaching Global Warming in Tumwater
by Jana DeanApr 04, 2008
- Jana Dean tells her inspiring story of what happened when she took teaching about climate change beyond the text books. What happens when you pause and listen to your student's fears and allow space for them to work through their feelings of powerlessness? In Tumwater they created a new recycling system for the entire school.
Teaching Climate: Digital Story Telling
Apr 04, 2008
- BRIDGES to Understanding has developed teaching tools around the issue of Climate Change that focus on journaling and digital story telling for your students. As your students develop their stories you can follow the work of other schools on-line.
What’s possible in a post-carbon world
by Guy DaunceyMar 24, 2008
- Can we get to a post-carbon world? Guy Dauncey shows how to make buildings, electricity, transportation, food, and forests climate friendly. Yes, we can.
Xavier Cortada: Artist’s Statement
by Xavier CortadaMar 12, 2008
- To address global climate change, Cortada has created two related works. One focuses on global awareness, the other on local action. The artist says: "My work aims to challenge us to find deeper meaning in our present lives by exploring the paths of those who came before us and our relationship to the natural world."
Jon Warnow :: Brower Youth Awards
Mar 10, 2008
- Listen to Jon's energetic acceptance speech as he invites all of us to “step outside our comfort zones” and remake our world.
Climate Art: The Longitudinal Installation
by Xavier CortadaMar 10, 2008
- Artist Xavier Cortada created an installation in Antarctica featuring quotes of people affected by climate change around the world. Creating this installation in a continent with no borders, the artist aims to diminish the man-made barriers in the world above it.
The Green-Collar Jobs Campaign Teaching Toolbox
by Jing FongMar 10, 2008
- The Green-Collar Jobs Campaign Teaching Toolbox offers a five-part series of lesson plans designed for use in high school classrooms. These interactive activities explore key themes surrounding Green-Collar Jobs Campaign's work, including: the green economy, eco-equity and eco-privilege, model cities, and restorative justice. We've identified compelling YES! articles to support teaching with these activities.
Who's Willing to Step Up
Feb 26, 2008
- It turns out people are willing to make sacrifices to stop Global Warming: polling data from 23 countries confirms that people are ready to do what it takes.
The Amazing Power of Green Slime
by Margit ChristensonFeb 23, 2008
- Using algae for biofuels as a possible solution. The oil in algae can be converted into biodiesel and its carbohydrate components into ethanol.
Terra Preta, a Solution Buried in the Dirt
by Brooke JarvisFeb 23, 2008
- Agrichar is another solution to reducing the amount of carbon in the atmosphere.
Theme Guide :: Stop Global Warming Cold
Feb 21, 2008
- Climate change used to be something that would happen far off in the future. Now the science says we have just 10 years to change course or things will get scary. What do we do? What will actually make a difference? It turns out we have the means. The question is: Do we have the will?
The First Women Barefoot Solar Engineers of the Gambia
Feb 14, 2008
- See the solar installation in process, start to finish: follow two rural illiterate women from The Gambia who learn how to become Barefoot Solar Engineers.