Facing Ourselves: The Climate Challenge Needs a New Kind of Bravery
by YES! online staffNov 28, 2013
- Before fighting climate change, we must first confront our emotions about it.
Frances Moore Lappé: Delicious Food Is Not An Indulgence—It’s a Way to Solve Our Ecological Crises
by Frances Moore LappeNov 27, 2013
- Since I first published “Diet for a Small Planet” in 1971, the movement for food that is good for our bodies and our planet has blossomed beyond what I ever imagined. Here’s how.
What Occupy Oakland Taught Me About Healthy Eating
by AshEL EldridgeNov 26, 2013
- We came to Occupy because of America’s dangerous gap between rich and poor. But equally distressing was how many of us suffered from diseases created by a food system that makes healthy food inaccessible to the poor.
Environmentalists Use Drones to Conserve–Not Destroy
by YES! online staffNov 22, 2013
- Lian Pin Koh shows us how drones can be used for animal conservation, and keep an eye on poachers in the process.
"Cowboys and Indians" Camp Together to Build Alliance Against Keystone XL
by Kristin MoeNov 22, 2013
- At the Ponca Trail of Tears Spiritual Camp, tribal members and their ranchers are learning to understand each other as never before.
Why the UN Climate Negotiations Give Me Hope (In Spite of Everything)
by Jamie HennNov 21, 2013
- It's possible to find hope for action in the new generation's determination and clarity—even after 19 years of stalled negotiations.
"Beauty Feeds a Different Kind of Hunger": An Interview with Terry Tempest Williams
by Devon FredericksenNov 21, 2013
- "I used to ask the question, 'Am I an activist or a writer?' I don't ask that anymore. I am simply a human being engaged."
Follow the Warsaw Climate Talks Live with Democracy Now!
by Democracy Now!Nov 19, 2013
- Live coverage of the United Nations climate talks in Warsaw from Democracy Now!
How To Eat Like Our Lives Depend On It: Rediscovering the Many Joys of Food
by Sarah van GelderNov 19, 2013
- It's time to reclaim the well-being and exuberance that is part of healthy food culture.
World Governments: If You Won't Take the Lead on Climate Change, Then the People Will
by Michael T. KlareNov 19, 2013
- If governments fail to listen to mounting protests demanding clean energy, people's movements will put their futures in question.
5 Solutions for a Kinder Cellphone
Nov 18, 2013
- Forget smarter! This infographic depicts the lifecycle of a cellphone, and points out non-toxic, conflict-free mineral responsible design.
Vandana Shiva On Resisting GMOs: "Saving Seeds Is a Political Act"
by Sarah van GelderNov 15, 2013
- Why the fight for biodiversity is about protecting life itself.
Two Years After the Eviction of OWS, Here's 5 People Keeping the Movement Alive
by Ann Kathleen BradleyNov 15, 2013
- Two years ago today, when Occupy Wall Street was evicted from Zuccotti Park, many wondered what was next for the movement. Two years later, we profile five projects that got their starts in the encampments and are still making change today.
Will the Tropical Island of Kauai Be the Next Front in GMO Fight?
by Maureen Nandini MitraNov 14, 2013
- Local lawmakers will vote today on whether to overturn the mayor's veto of a bill to regulate the use of pesticides on the Hawaiian island.
In the Wake of Haiyan, We Must Divest from Fossil Fuels
by Jamie HennNov 12, 2013
- The devastation in the Philippines reminds us of our responsibility to stop profiting from the wreckage caused by companies whose business plan includes destroying the planet.