Tiny House Living: How Two Families Made It Work—Teenagers, Sleepovers, Alone Time, and All
by Liz PleasantDec 24, 2014
- How do you fit a full-sized family into a tiny house? The Morrisons and Kasls found that the benefits of life in 200 square feet outweigh the difficulties.
Book Review: After Landing Herself in ICU, This Woman Changed Her Lifestyle, and Built a Tiny House
by Abby QuillenDec 24, 2014
- In building her tiny house, the author built a simpler and happier life.
A Radical Homemaker on How to De-Stress, Have Fun, and Stay Healthy This Christmas
by Shannon HayesDec 23, 2014
- Tired of the spending that goes along with the holidays? The gifting frenzy? The stress? Maybe this is the year to blend a few new ideas into your holiday routine.
What the Classics Can Teach Us About Cherishing Holiday Foods, From A Christmas Carol to Moby Dick
by Nina Bunker RuizDec 22, 2014
- Can we find our way back to treasuring what comes from far away while reveling in local, abundant foods, whose proximity makes them affordable and sustainable?
When Christmas Dinner Gets Uncomfortably Political, These Cues From “House of Cards” and Other Shows Can Help You Out
by Kate AronoffDec 22, 2014
- This year’s most popular movies and TV series can be a tool to work your way out of a particularly bad conversation.
Black Lives Matter Protest Shuts Down Mall of America on December’s Biggest Shopping Day
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 21, 2014
- This weekend, thousands converged on one of the world's biggest malls, chanting "Black people cannot breathe while you have a shopping spree." Check out our play-by-play.
12 Hashtags That Changed the World in 2014
by Lindsey WeedstonDec 19, 2014
- Slacktivism? Not so much. From #BlackLivesMatter to #BringBackOurGirls, this year's best hashtags around issues of social justice brought fresh voices into some of our most important conversations.
“Wild” Could Have Been a Standard Hollywood Weeper. Here’s How Reese Witherspoon Saved It
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 19, 2014
- To call “Wild” a redemption film is to minimize the wide range of emotions it works with—not to mention the subtlety of Reese Witherspoon’s performance.
Video: This Philly Beauty Salon and Rehab Clinic Helps People Heal—With a Little Magical Realism
by YES! EditorsDec 19, 2014
- A new documentary, "Hollywood Beauty Salon," lets people who struggle with mental illness and addiction tell their own stories in unexpected ways.
Kids on Chicago’s West Side Break the School-to-Prison Pipeline with Restorative Circles
by Maya SchenwarDec 19, 2014
- For these Chicago students, restorative justice isn’t just about causing less harm to those around us. It’s also about actively creating safety, on their own terms.
Neighbors Helped This Immigrant-Owned Dry Cleaner in Boston Go Nontoxic—and Stay in Business
by Chuck Collins, Polly HoppinDec 19, 2014
- Organizations that aim to reduce the use of toxic chemicals have long focused on shutting down offending businesses. But this story from Boston shows another way.
We Don't Need Santa's Magic When We Already Have Our Own
by Shannon HayesDec 16, 2014
- Magic is about stepping into our power, about uniting our intentions with the natural world to create something better, something deeper.
Northern California's Railroads Are Carrying More Crude Oil Than Ever—But These Neighbors Aren't Having It
by Tara LohanDec 15, 2014
- Residents who have joined the fight against transporting oil by train have also come to understand aspects of the wider context.
Ridley Scott's Weak Defense of "Exodus" Casting Will Help You Understand Why Hollywood's So White
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 12, 2014
- All the main characters are played by white people. It doesn't really have to be that way.
"Forgiveness Is Liberating": Desmond Tutu On Healing A Nation's Racist Past
by Desmond TutuDec 12, 2014
- In 1997, he asked: "Who could have thought we would ever be an example, except of awfulness; who could ever have thought we would be held up as a model to the rest of the world?" Today, South Africa's healing process is a beacon of hope for the United States.