Letter from the Editor
by Sarah van GelderFeb 25, 2005
- We focus on the media in this issue of YES! because it is clear that democracy cannot function when diverse, critical perspectives are excluded from the public conversation, nor when entire populations are absent from or mischaracterized in the popular media.
YES! But How? :: Privacy, Slugs, Recycling Cards, and Glasses
Feb 24, 2005
- Protecting privacy, nontoxic slug disposal, unwanted bulk mail, reusing greeting cards, and recycling old glasses
Media That Set Us Free Discussion Guide
Feb 21, 2005
- Why in the midst of this information glut are we not getting the information we need? What does this mean for our democracy? More questions like these . . .
Dipping a Toe Into the Blogosphere
by Micah SifryFeb 21, 2005
- Writing your own blog is easy.
by Bill MoyersFeb 16, 2005
- Some journalists are stubbornly pursuing the truth despite growing media monopolies, government secrecy, ideology, and public relations spin doctors—but it’s getting tougher
10 Steps to More Democratic Media
by Jeffrey Chester, Gary O. LarsonFeb 16, 2005
- 10 Steps to More Democratic Media
by Josh Silver, Robert W. McChesneyFeb 08, 2005
Going to Where the Silence Is: Interview with Amy Goodman
by Carolyn McConnellFeb 02, 2005
- Interview with Amy Goodman, how she created Democracy Now
Resource Guide: Democratic Media
by Lisa KundratFeb 02, 2005
- Resources for More Democratic Media
The Lost Art of Dropping By
by Patrisia GonzalesFeb 01, 2005
- The Lost Art of Dropping By by Patrisia Gonzales - creating neighborliness.
Rehearsing with Gods
by Marc Estrin, Ronald T. SimonJan 21, 2005
- Since the 1960s, Bread & Puppet Theater has come to life in urban street protests and remote farmlands, awakening in audiences a sense of wonder, solidarity, and a recollection of life’s essentials.
The Fragrance of Faith: the Enlightened Heart of Islam by Jamal Rahman
by Rabbi Ted FalconJan 19, 2005
- A book as important as Jamal Rahman's The Fragrance of Faith needs to be recommended with as much grace as possible for it contains precious reminders that the spiritual teachings of Islam are as filled with compassion as they can be.
The Balkan Journalist Dialogues
by Joanne M. Lisosky, Ph.DJan 18, 2005
by Sarah Ruth van GelderJan 18, 2005
- One tribe took a chance on inviting a coalition of native and non-native people to help them win back their ancient village site and the home of Chief Seattle.
Pranksters Sink the WTO
by Andy Bichlbaum, Mike Bonanno, Bob SpunkmeyerDec 17, 2004
- Pranksters (YES Men) impersonate WTO spokesmen and declare the demise of the World Trade Organization.