Art and Community Discussion Guide
Jun 30, 2002
- Where does art fit in your life? Is it something you visit in a museum? Something you buy in a music store? Is art a mere luxury? Or can art change lives and communities, making life more livable by the act of creation?
Warm, Dry, And Noble
by Andrea DeanJun 30, 2002
- Samuel Mockbee founded Rural Studio, creating simple but inventive structures made of inexpensive, mostly salvaged or donated materials.
Dancing In Praise Of
by Linda Frye BurnhamJun 30, 2002
- In 1998, the Liz Lerman Dance Exchange began the Hallelujah initiative, creating new performance works with 15 communities all across the US. The initiative is intended to “celebrate edge-of-the-millennium America in all of its vividness, beauty, strength and quirkiness.”
Another World Is Possible
by Walden BelloJun 30, 2002
- Porto Alegre, site of the World Social Forum (WSF) last year and again this year, has become the byword for the spirit of the burgeoning movement against corporate-driven globalization.
YES! But How? :: Safe Carpet, Catching Mice
Jun 30, 2002
- Practical ideas for saving the earth.
Art To the People
by Carolyn McConnellJun 30, 2002
- Creating murals and art spaces. Performing dance and theater. Celebrating the natural world. These stories tell of ordinary people who are finding their voices, restoring communities, and transforming lives.
Interview With Rep. Dennis Kucinich
by Sarah Ruth van GelderJun 30, 2002
- Since winning election to Congress in 1996, US Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) has proposed such radical ideas as a Department of Peace, universal health care, and action on climate change. His speech, “Prayer for America,” got one standing ovation after another at an Americans for Democratic Action event in Los Angeles.
The Time of Your Life
by Martin KeoghJun 30, 2002
- With leaps, bounds, and stillness, dancers make peace with time.
Who's Afraid of Music
by Carol EstesJun 30, 2002
- Music can tell truths that otherwise go unheard, inspiring action, and sustaining resistance.
Speak Out Anyway
by Fran KortenJan 31, 2002
- Danny Glover speaks out against the death penalty and starts an uproar, where he is discriminated against.
Letter from the Editor
by Sarah van GelderJan 31, 2002
- These are the stories of people who are creating America, not only to fulfill their own American dream but to fulfill the common dream of all peoples for a world in which each child can grow up in peace and dignity.
Jan 31, 2002
- Touched by Love
The Page That Counts :: Spring 2002
Jan 31, 2002
- Frequency of use of the word “like” in standard American English conversation, and more...
Book Review - In God's Country by David A. Neiwert
by Scott MorrisJan 31, 2002
Book Review - Caring For New Life by Ron Miller
by Perri ArdmanJan 31, 2002