After 20 Years Reporting on Solutions, I’m Going on a Journey to Find Where Hope Lies Now
by Sarah van GelderAug 13, 2015
- YES! co-founder Sarah van Gelder sets out on a road trip to find the edge of change.
School Behind Bars: How College Kids and Incarcerated Youth Benefit From Learning Together
by Nur LaljiAug 12, 2015
- Graduates of an “Inside-Out” program in Oregon say that the experience transformed the way they see the prison system—and themselves.
Infographic: The Real Reason You Have So Much Debt (It’s Not Crazy Spending)
by Tracy Loeffelholz Dunn, Heidi BruceAug 12, 2015
- $11.85 trillion in household debt has more to do with stagnant wages (and predatory banks) than shopping sprees.
The Crunch: Why Washington D.C. Hired a Herd of Goats (And Other News to Chew On)
by YES! StaffAug 12, 2015
- This week we’re talking about the future of work, a "masculine studies" program... and goats.
The Rad History Book Every Girl (and Boy) Should Have on Her Bookshelf
by Lindsey WeedstonAug 11, 2015
- A new feminist children's book honors 26 awesome women who changed the world.
Four Ways Mexico’s Indigenous Farmers Are Practicing the Agriculture of the Future
by Leah PennimanAug 10, 2015
- How can we get the most out of our farmland without harming the planet? I traveled to rural Mexico to learn from indigenous farmers.
Can Bernie Sanders Win Over Black Lives Matter? He Seems to Be Trying
by Marcus Harrison GreenAug 07, 2015
- The progressive candidate has been making a sharper distinction between racial and economic issues. If you like his campaign, that’s really good news.
New David Foster Wallace Movie Shows a Regular Guy Who Happens to Be a Genius—That’s Why It Works
by Christopher Zumski FinkeAug 07, 2015
- Jason Segel steers away from his usual funny guy persona in "The End of the Tour," and plays the late "Infinite Jest" author David Foster Wallace.
What’s a Death Midwife? Inside the Alternative Death Care Movement
by Jennifer LuxtonAug 07, 2015
- From funeral cooperatives to green burials, there's a kinder, gentler, less expensive way to die.
This New Rule Will Bring Secretive Corporate Tax Breaks to Light
by Puck LoAug 07, 2015
- Every year, governments spend tens of billions of dollars on tax breaks for private companies. Now, state and city governments will have to start reporting it as lost income.
Study Shows Mindful Meditation Helps Reduce Racial Bias
by Jill SuttieAug 06, 2015
- A new study shows that meditation can transform racial bias at any age.
What If Teachers Got Million-Dollar Deals Instead of Athletes? In Key and Peele's World, They Do
by Christopher Zumski FinkeAug 05, 2015
- The comedy duo's SportsCenter spoof is the most exciting look yet at how awesome things would be if we made teaching a priority.
The Weekly Crunch: Zero-Waste Grocery Stores, Black Women's Business Boom, Robocops for Cyber-Bullies
by YES! StaffAug 05, 2015
- Like reading the news while chomping on granola. Here’s what we've been chewing on lately.
Naomi Klein: Obama Makes Strides Toward Reducing Coal—But We Still Have a Long Way to Go
by Amy Goodman, Nermeen ShaikhAug 04, 2015
- Under new EPA regulations, U.S. power plants will be required to cut emissions. But does the plan go far enough?
The Indigenous Rituals That Heal Us
by Patricia St. OngeAug 03, 2015
- How the Medicine Wheel can guide us to transform communities that have suffered from racial injustice