Worried About Rent Hikes, 301 Families Came Together to Buy Their Mobile Home Park
by Olivia Anderson, Araz Hachadourian, Christa HillstromJan 09, 2017
- And five other creative ways Americans are stepping up to build strong local economies.
Robert Reich: 12 Ways to Resist Trump That Only Take an Hour a Day
by Robert ReichJan 09, 2017
- Including making your city a sanctuary, boycotting all Trump products, and reaching out to independents.
Utah’s New National Monument Marks Big Win for the Protection of Indigenous Cultural Sites
by Jacqueline KeelerJan 06, 2017
- By permanently protecting an area rich in indigenous cultural history, Obama has shown that some things are worth more than money.
Standing Rock and the Return of the Nonviolent Campaign
by George LakeyJan 06, 2017
- There’s something even better than electoral politics and one-off protests when mobilizing citizen power.
Creating an LGBTQIA Safe Space in Rural America
by Kit O’ConnellJan 05, 2017
- Alternative art spaces are critical to establishing connections for queer people, but especially for those living in rural areas, where community is smaller and less supported than in cities.
The Cherokee Nation Is Entitled to a Delegate in Congress. But Will They Finally Send One?
by Tristan AhtoneJan 04, 2017
- To deal with a Trump administration, the tribal nation might now want to use that 200-year-old treaty right.
Nashville Teens Mapped Their Daily Routes—And Got a New Bike Lane as a Result
by Araz HachadourianJan 03, 2017
- In Nashville, Tennessee, and Chicago, city planners are responding to demands for better neighborhood mobility and bicycling infrastructure.
This Small Town Refused to Settle for Wal-Mart When Its Last Local Grocery Store Closed
by Melissa HellmannJan 02, 2017
- After 10 years without an independent grocery store, the residents of Iola, Kansas, found a way to bring one back.
10 Indigenous and Environmental Struggles—And How You Can Help in 2017
by The Indigenous #NoDAPL CoalitionJan 01, 2017
- Whom to call, what to donate, and where to show up.
The Science of Creating a Compassionate World: 10 Best Books of 2016
by Diana Divecha, Kira M. Newman, Laura Saponara, Jill SuttieDec 30, 2016
- The year’s most thought-provoking, important, or useful nonfiction books on empathy, kindness, and moving the conversation forward.
My Five-Day Visit to an Abbey Let Me Embrace Stillness and Silence
by Norman AllenDec 30, 2016
- I fear losing the stillness I gained. But I take comfort in knowing that the abbey is there, that the monks are singing the hours, and that there is silence in between.
As a Trump Administration Fast Approaches, Cities and Towns Gear Up for Political Resistance
by Sally NeasDec 29, 2016
- In the years to come, community bills of rights are one strategy to shelter vulnerable populations.
Call for Submissions: “Sanctuary Communities”
by YES! EditorsDec 29, 2016
- Send us your ideas by Jan. 25.
20 Photos: My Seven Months of Living at Standing Rock
by Desiree KaneDec 28, 2016
- The community we have built here has taught many how to live a large-scale sustainable, decolonized, anticapitalist lifestyle.
How Trump’s Extremism May Help Us Expose One of History’s Greatest Political Deceptions
by David KortenDec 28, 2016
- The Great Growth Con promises that economic growth—measured by gross domestic product—will benefit everyone, rich and poor alike.