Can Workers Get a Fair Deal in the Gig Economy?
by Steven HillAug 23, 2016
- The whole sector won’t enjoy broader success until its companies learn how to combine flexible work with better treatment.
3 Reasons the Standing Rock Sioux Can Stop the Dakota Access Pipeline
by Mark TrahantAug 22, 2016
- For starters, this protest is about a competing idea for the future of the planet—and waves of people will show up to make that point.
Urban Foraging: Weeds You Can Eat
by Jasleena GrewalAug 22, 2016
- 6 edible weeds that can reduce anxiety, provide protein—or even predict the weather.
As #BankBlack Moves Money, Black Credit Unions Are Ready
by Zenobia JeffriesAug 20, 2016
- While the number of Black-owned banks is down to only 22, there are 318 Black credit unions uniquely positioned to invest in their communities.
A Documentary on Hope, Love, and Beauty in Ferguson
by Jaime AlfaroAug 19, 2016
- Mobolaji Olambiwonnu hopes his new film on the killing of Michael Brown will bring healing, dignity, and investment to Black communities affected by police violence.
Let Wildfires Burn: Study Shows Forests Bounce Back on Their Own
by Maya KhoslaAug 19, 2016
- Modern fire management practices of logging and seeding interfere with an ecosystem's ability to restore itself, and does little to protect property.
When You Don’t Have a Traditional Job, This Is How You Get Creative
by Martin do NascimentoAug 18, 2016
- Austin, Texas, leads the nation in people with jobs outside the 9-to-5 economy.
Watch: A Year After Freddie Gray, Baltimore Is Still Rising
by Melissa HellmannAug 18, 2016
- Tired of waiting for outside help, grassroots organizations are generating resources from within the African American community.
#IamtheGigEconomy: Love Being Your Own Boss or Desperate for a Traditional Job?
by YES! StaffAug 17, 2016
- Tell us about your gig life by using #IamtheGigEconomy.
To Thrive, We Must Be In Touch With Each Other
by Sarah van GelderAug 17, 2016
- When we live connected to a community, we are more likely to become champions for one another, not just for ourselves.
5 Reasons to Vote Even When You Hate Everything on the Ballot
by Yessenia FunesAug 17, 2016
- Voting won’t solve the nation’s problems. But it’s a start.
Black Lives Matter “Anthem” Writer Talks Music, TPP, and Being a Mom to a Black Son
by Steve FurayAug 16, 2016
- Singer-songwriter Taina Asili’s latest video, “And We Walk,” makes the connection between racial justice and climate justice.
From Fencing in a Hijab to Swimming for Refugees, These 5 Olympians Inspire Us
by Liza BaylessAug 16, 2016
- Meet the athletes representing more than their countries’ flags at this year’s Olympic Games.
The U.S. Just Surpassed the Number of Breweries We Had in 1873
by Liza Bayless, Kate StringerAug 16, 2016
- And 26 other facts you should probably know.
In Photos: Tribes Are Reviving an Indian River Nearly Destroyed by Coal Mining
by Rucha ChitnisAug 12, 2016
- Decades of coal mining in the Jaintia Hills have trashed the once thriving Myntdu River. Now, indigenous communities are uniting to take a stand.