Why Being a “Good Guy” Is Not Enough
by Joe SamalinJul 11, 2016
- Either you’re actively working against sexual violence or you’re enabling it.
We Already Know How to Reduce Police Racism and Violence
by Kate StringerJul 08, 2016
- Recent research has shown cities what works. For starters, hire more female police officers.
For Decades, the USDA Was Black Farmers’ Worst Enemy. Here’s How It Became an Ally
by Sylvia A. HarveyJul 08, 2016
- Through partnering with local farmers, the USDA has begun to tackle its racist past.
This Country Needs a Truth and Reconciliation Process on Violence Against African Americans—Right Now
by Fania DavisJul 08, 2016
- America has a long history of violence against black citizens. What response can disrupt patterns set by centuries of racism?
Think Gender Issues Can’t Be Funny? Think Again
by Alexa StrabukJul 07, 2016
- Three comedians using stand-up to breakdown gender stereotypes.
5 Ways the News Media Can Get Real
by Sarah van GelderJul 06, 2016
- When Donald Trump gets more air time than Bernie Sanders, the media misses the mark on grassroots change.
This Is What Naked Power Looks Like
by Taja LindleyJul 05, 2016
- Why feminist burlesque performers put their bodies and politics in full view.
The Italian Region Where Co-ops Produce a Third of Its GDP
by John DudaJul 05, 2016
- Six things we can learn from Northern Italy’s Emilia Romagna region, where cooperatives drive the economy.
When Soldiers Come Home, Who Tends to Their Moral Injuries?
by Micael BogarJul 04, 2016
- Listening can help ease the transition home for veterans and ultimately heal us as a nation.
How to Win Workplace Equality? Invest in Neighborhoods Where Women Need It Most
by Angela Glover BlackwellJul 01, 2016
- Women make up nearly half of the workforce, yet old-fashioned policies keep them unequal partners. To remedy this, we must first ensure basic opportunities—like making sure girls can get to school.
Don’t Be That Guy at the 4th of July Party
by Barbara ClabotsJul 01, 2016
- Independence Day is tough on coastal ecosystems where Americans flock to beach parties and communities are left with the mess. Here's how to do it better.
The Working-Class Wounds Hidden Behind Trump Voters’ Racism
by Arun GuptaJun 30, 2016
- If we listen carefully to Trump’s supporters, we can hear their desire for progressive policies.
In New York, Republicans and Democrats Join Forces to Overturn Citizens United
by Lynsi BurtonJun 29, 2016
- Seventeen states have called for a constitutional amendment to reduce the influence of money in politics. So who’s next?
One Hopeful Thing About the Brexit Electoral Rebellion
by David KortenJun 29, 2016
- Maybe now we can renegotiate the corporate boundaries and interests that overtook those of communities.
The Lakota Martial Arts Teacher Helping Native Women Recover Their Strength
by Christa HillstromJun 28, 2016
- A self-defense model focused on rediscovering strength rather than putting up your guard helps Native American women heal from sexual assault.