by Michael LernerNov 05, 2001
- The great wound we face as a species will have to be acknowledged at a depth that most of us have only begun to imagine if we are to carry this wound in a way that leads to planetary healing.
Review of Culture Jam: the Uncooling of AmericaTM
by Dan BertoletNov 05, 2001
- A review of the book Culture Jam, by Kalle Lasn, founder of Adbusters magazine.
by Yael LachmanNov 05, 2001
- What America has just learned, very painfully, is that we have not loved enough. Through our own ignorance, we have helped create a world where desperate people will gladly sign up to be the messengers of death. And now that death and destruction have reached our own shores, we must decide how we are going to respond: with love, or with fear.
Danny Glover Under Attack
by Fran KortenNov 05, 2001
- Danny Glover, actor, activist, and board member of the Positive Futures Network, has been coming under a hailstorm of attacks based on an incident following a speech he gave at Princeton on November 15.
by Fran KortenNov 05, 2001
- In the shadow of war, evidence accumulates of changing cultural priorities and a brighter future
Our Time To Choose
by David KortenNov 05, 2001
- The terrorist attack on September 11 momentarily united the world behind an effort to bring the guilty to justice and prevent future terrorist violence. It also focused attention on a defining human choice between justice and vengeance, compassion and violence, and freedom and suppression.
by Leah GreenNov 05, 2001
- The Compassionate Listening Project is a reconciliation effort based on the ideas of Gene Knudsen Hoffman, a Quaker peacemaker. Participants are trained to listen respectfully to all sides of the conflict, with a goal to build the international constituency for Mideast peace while offering a practical tool for conflict resolution.
In the Native Way
by Tom GoldtoothNov 05, 2001
- For a sundancer and bundle-keeper in the Dakota tradition, the world and the spirit are identical.
Danny Glover :: The Death Penalty in this Great Nation of Ours
by Danny GloverNov 05, 2001
- Speech given at Princeton considers the fallibility of our justice system and the finality of death.
Letter from the Editor
by Sheldon ItoNov 05, 2001
- From the Associate Editor, Sheldon Ito
Discussion Guide :: Can Love Save the World?
Nov 05, 2001
- On September 11, the question we'd set out to address in this issue-Can Love Save the World?-took on a new life-and-death urgency, amid the bombing of Afghanistan, the curtailing of our freedoms in the name of security, and the fear of biological and nuclear warfare. Can love save this broken world? We need an answer now.
by John de Graaf, David Wann, Thomas H. NaylorNov 05, 2001
- Review of Affluenza by John de Graaf, David Wann, Thomas H. Naylor.
Through My Enemy's Eyes
by Troy ChapmanNov 05, 2001
- A prisoners story of finding a third way, of finding meaning and truth. Sometimes the man who knows the most about hate can tell us the most about love, and the man acquainted with despair can teach us to hope.
The Failure of War
by Wendell BerryNov 05, 2001
- Why do we always think we can put an end to killing by waging war? It never works, for reasons that should be obvious.
In the Eyes of the World
by Walden BelloNov 05, 2001
- The Ugly American lives on and he's undermining our chance for peace says this Third World writer.