Poets speak out.
“You Have My Permission to Wear a Hoodie Every Day”
by Rasha Hamidposted May 07, 2012
- In the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death, what advice should a mother give to her young, brown son? Rasha Hamid pondered that question, and wrote this poem to her son Jibreel.
Words That Inspire: You Have My Permission to Wear a Hoodie Every Day
posted May 02, 2012
- In the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death, what advice should a mother give to her young, brown son? Use Rasha Hamid's words to start a discussion with your students about what this tragedy means.
What We Owe Adrienne Rich
by Madeline Ostranderposted Mar 30, 2012
- The late poet was a patriot who wrestled for the soul of her country.
Words That Inspire: The Laughing Thrush
posted Oct 25, 2011
- Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin believes that it’s natural to love being in the world around us. His poem, "The Laughing Thrush," captures a sense of place with rich details and abundant joy.
How to Be Alone
posted Sep 03, 2010
- Video: What can we learn about ourselves when we let go of our fear of loneliness?
Healing Power of Prison Poetry
by Eli Hastingsposted Sep 09, 2009
- Writers help teens in jail learn to express difficult truths by putting pencil to paper.
Pongo Teen Writing Project
posted Aug 14, 2009
- Examples of teen writing from juvenile detention.
The Great Correction Song
by Eliza Gilkysonposted Jul 29, 2008
- Song lyrics from Eliza Gilkyson, The Great Correction, written for "Last Sunday" in Austin, Texas
Split This Rock Poetry Festival
posted May 02, 2008
- Hundreds of poets from all over the country gathered in front of the White House on Sunday, March 23, 2008, for Split This Rock Poetry Festival. Together, the poets created a spontaneous group poem, a Cento, for peace and new priorities…
Poetry by Wendell Berry
posted Jul 26, 2007
- Poetry by Wendell Berry - The Wild Geese
Pass it On
by Alice Lovelaceposted Jun 27, 2007
- Poetry by Alice Lovelace
Poetry excerpt :: 'A Brave and Startling Truth'
by Maya Angelouposted Mar 22, 2007
- An excerpt from Maya Angelou's poem 'A Brave and Startling Truth.'
Men, War, and Families
by Robert F. Johnson, Gordon Mustainposted Jun 05, 2006
- Two poems by veterans who recall the effect of military combat on their own lives.
Prayers and Poems
posted Mar 05, 2003
- A selection of prayers and poems on Iraq
by Charles John Paceposted Oct 27, 2000
- yes, by Charles John Pace. Poetry