Freedom from cluttered lives and minds.
7 Ways to Get Happy—Without Costing the Planet
by Sarah van Gelderposted Nov 14, 2014
- The starting point is to realize we have choices—like meaningful work, authentic relationships, and gratitude.
An Introvert Cooks Dinner for 80—and Learns Something About Community
by Shannon Hayesposted Nov 13, 2014
- I love my solitude. I also love my community. But my independent nature has never been unusual in this town.
Bikes! Co-Ops! Voyages of Self-Discovery! This Project Brings Together Everything You Love
posted Nov 06, 2014
- In the summers of 2012 and 2013, a group of college students and recent grads bicycled across America, visiting cooperative businesses and re-imagining the country they were about to inherit.
How to Pickle Almost Anything
by Doug Pibel, Tracy Loeffelholz Dunn, Kali Swensonposted Oct 15, 2014
- Why ferment? It’s practical magic. Here are a few basics to get you started.
Why I’m Staying In My Hometown (Even Though Everybody Knows What I Was Like as a Kid)
posted Oct 07, 2014
- Brought on by the sound of a screaming child, I reflect on my past, my community, and how we can become our true selves without fleeing our roots.
Remembering Stephen Gaskin: A Conversation with the Man Behind the Original Off-the-Grid Farm
by Erin McCarleyposted Jul 31, 2014
- Gaskin had a talent for thinking through ways to combine simple living with social engagement. He died on July 1, 2014.
Too Many Political T-Shirts? 6 Ways to Repurpose Them
by Christine St. Pierre, Kali Swensonposted Jul 22, 2014
- The messages may be eternal, but T-shirts aren't forever. These DIY projects can give them new life.
How the Family Farm Stole My Sense of Self—For the Better
by Shannon Hayesposted Jun 04, 2014
A Lesson in Tranquility ... From a Porcupine
by Shannon Hayesposted May 28, 2014
- A midnight run-in with a spiny interloper forced me to re-evaluate my priorities.
Will My Daughter Grow Up to Be a Farmer Like Me?
by Shannon Hayesposted May 12, 2014
- I made the choice to give up a career in law and return to my family farm. Now, I wait to see if my daughter will do the same.
10 Things Creative People Know
by Peggy Taylor, Charlie Murphyposted Apr 11, 2014
- Everyday creative activities like knitting and cooking can boost your levels of serotonin and decrease anxiety.
This Couple's Marriage Healed the Planet and Cost Just $3K—Here's How They Did It
by Linnea M. Patonposted Feb 13, 2014
- Four ways to have an equitable, earth-loving, and awesome wedding.
How a Library with No Books Could Change the Way We Read (And Bring Us Closer Together)
by Roman Krznaricposted Jan 31, 2014
- The Empathy Library is a new digital archive where people can point to the books, movies, and other media that help us learn to understand one another.
How Cooking Can Change Your Life
posted Jan 28, 2014
- In this powerful RSA Short, Michael Pollan shares some real talk about the difference between home cooked food and food made by corporations.
Sitting Is the New Smoking: Why Walking Is the “Secret Sauce” for Better Health and Happier Communities
by Jay Walljasperposted Jan 06, 2014
- Whether you live in the ‘burbs, the city, or the middle of nowhere, the "wonder drug" of walking is just what the doctor ordered.