Recycling One Aluminum Can Will Power a Laptop for More Than Five Hours
Hours a day the average American spends online with a computer: 2.31
Hours a laptop could be powered from the energy saved by recycling one aluminum can: 5.22
Aluminum cans recycled in 2012: 62 billion
Aluminum cans shipped by the U.S. Aluminum Industry in 2012: 92 billion
Years since the first cell phone call: 40
Percentage of Americans who can’t imagine living without their cell phones: 29
Percentage of American adults who text who admitted to texting while driving in 2010: 47
Number of Americans that died in driving accidents due to cell phone use in 2012: 3,328
Total number of bacteria species found in a study of 60 belly buttons: 2,368
Range of number of bacteria species found in those 60 belly buttons: 29–107
Pieces of mail processed by the United States Postal Service in 2012: 160 billion
Miles driven by United States Postal Service letter carriers and truck drivers annually: 1.3 billion
Number of career people employed by the United States Postal Service in 2012: 522,144
Tax money paid to the United States Postal Service for operations in 2012: $0
Percentage of global GMO crops produced in the United States: 69.5
Countries other than the United States requiring GMO food labels: 64
Daily calories recommended for adults with moderate activity: 2,300
Estimated calories consumed daily by average adult American in 2000: 2,700
Number of Americans who are chronically hungry: 18 million
Estimated number of people who could be fed entirely by surplus calories of
Americans aged 18–64: 33.8 million
Average number of immigrants who passed through Ellis Island annually from 1892–1924: 375,000
Average number of immigrants deported annually during President Barack Obama’s first term: 382,500
Estimated number of unauthorized immigrants in the United States in 2012: 11.7 million
Families made homeless by flooding and other damage after Hurricane Katrina: 600,000
U.S. cities expected to be affected by sea level rise in 2050: 315
Mayors who signed the “Resilient Communities for America” agreement for climate preparedness: 78
Miles Becker and Christine St. Pierre wrote this article for Education Uprising: The New Rebels Taking Back Our Public Schools, the Spring 2014 issue of YES! Magazine. Miles and Christine are editorial interns.
1. “Digital Set to Surpass TV in Time Spent with US Media,” eMarketer, August 2013
2. “Climate Change and Waste,” United States Environmental Protection Agency, September 2013.
3. “Aluminum Can Continues Leadership in Sustainable Packaging as Most Recycled Beverage Container,” Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc., October 2013.
5. “The First Cell Phone Call: Excerpt from ‘Networked: The New Social Operating System’,” Pew Research Center, as cited in Pew Internet, April 2013.
6. “The First Cell Phone Call: Excerpt from ‘Networked: The New Social Operating System’,” Pew Research Center, as cited in Pew Internet, April 2013.
7. “Major Findings,” Pew Research Center, as cited in Pew Internet, June 2010.
8. “One Text or Call Could Wreck it All,” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as seen in Distraction.gov.
9. “A Jungle in There: Bacteria in Belly Buttons are Highly Diverse, but Predictable,” Plos One, November 2012.
11. “Pocket K No. 16: Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops in 2012,” International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications, March 2012.
12. “Genetically Engineered Food: The Labeling Debate,” Center for Food Safety, April 2013.
13. “Estimated Calorie Needs Per Day by Age, Gender, and Physical Activity Level,” Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
14. “Profiling Food Consumption in America,” Agriculture Fact Book, United States Department of Agriculture.
15. “Household Food Security in the United States in 2012,” United States Economic Research Center, September 2013.
16. “Age and Sex Composition: 2010,” United States Census Bureau, May 2011.
17. “Profiling Food Consumption in America,” Agriculture Fact Book, United States Department of Agriculture.
18. “Estimated Calorie Needs Per Day by Age, Gender, and Physical Activity Level,” Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
19. National Parks Service, as cited in National Parks of New York Harbor Conservancy.
20. “High Rate of Deportations Continue Under Obama Despite Latino Disapproval,” Pew Research Center, September 2013.
21. “Population Decline of Unauthorized Immigrants Stalls, May Have Reversed,” Pew Research Center, September 2013.
22. “Housing Families Displaced by Katrina: A Review of the Federal Response to Date,” Brookings Institute, November 2005.
23. “Rapid Accumulation of Committed Sea-Level Rise from Global Warming,” Benjamin H. Strauss, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, July 2013.
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.