The petrochemical industry continues to flood the world with plastic—poisoning our bodies and ecosystems, and driving and exploiting inequality. Take in this thought-provoking conversation with activists and contributors from the Solving Plastic issue of YES! Magazine as we explore the diverse ways communities are fighting back and creating healthier systems—and how you can be a part of it.
You’ll hear from:
- Erica Cirino, a science writer, artist, and author of the forthcoming book Thicker Than Water: The Quest for Solutions to the Plastic Crisis (Island Press, fall 2021)
- Sharon Lavigne, founder of RISE St. James in New Orleans and a leading environmental justice advocate fighting the petrochemical buildout in Louisiana’s “Cancer Alley”
- Christie Keith, international coordinator and executive director of GAIA (U.S.), a global alliance of grassroots groups, NGOs, and individuals working toward a just, toxic-free world without incineration
- Breanna Draxler, YES! environmental editor and moderator of the event
- Zenobia Jeffries Warfield, YES! executive editor and host of the event
Please help us do more free events like this one.
YES! Presents is a live event series from the team behind YES! Magazine that brings to life stories of solutions to some of society’s biggest issues. From deep explorations based on YES!’s award-winning solutions journalism reporting, to discussions with some of the most influential national and local figures at the forefront of these solutions, YES! Presents events offer a thought-provoking look into the role we all play in building a better world.