Freedom from cluttered lives and minds.
7 Reasons Bikes Are for Everyone—Not Just “Cyclists”
by Christine Grantposted Oct 24, 2012
- Don’t let the spandex-clad iron men scare you off! Here are seven reasons why all types of people are biking to work—and why cities are encouraging them.
5 Tools (and 1 Animal) for Quieter, Healthier Yard Work
by Lauren Hardy, Samantha Herndonposted Sep 05, 2012
- Tending your yard doesn’t have to be noisy, irritating, or fuel-intensive. Here’s how you can unplug.
How Cities Can Get Drivers Biking
by Jay Walljasperposted Jul 27, 2012
- How can planners attract the 60 percent of Americans who say they would bike more if they felt more secure? The answer could be cheap and simple.
Think Small: A New Housing Model
by Doug Pibelposted Jul 24, 2012
- Why go back to the way things were when we can create housing that embraces the best of tradition and the best of new thinking?
How I Found Bliss in a Creaky Old Rental
by Corbyn Hightowerposted Jun 26, 2012
- Corbyn Hightower and her family moved from affluence to poverty—and into a "funky, junky" house that's been the happiest move of their lives.
We’ve Got Some Big Houses—That We Could Share
by Doug Pibelposted May 24, 2012
- Just 60 years ago, the average American had 291 square feet of living space. Now it’s close to 1,000 square feet. Have we changed our needs that much? Or just our wants?
Real Homes: Small, Frugal, and Green
by Doug Pibelposted May 23, 2012
- With 5 million houses in foreclosure, we are rediscovering that living sustainably includes living affordably.
The Perks of Being Gainfully Unemployed
by Shannon Hayesposted May 18, 2012
- Is job security real security? Shannon Hayes makes the case for diversifying your income.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella Jenkinsposted May 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
6 Tips for Green Pet Care
by Jennifer Kaye, Lindsay Kuceraposted Apr 23, 2012
- Sustainable, low-cost, and natural ways to care for your critters.
Radical Homemaking … In the South of France?
by Shannon Hayesposted Apr 18, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Do radical homemaking and foreign travel mix?
A DIY Civilization
by Colleen Shaddoxposted Mar 26, 2012
- Can we create the machines of modern life sustainably, cheaply, and close to home?
Don't Be Stupid, Cupid: How to Show Your Love Responsibly
by Annie Leonardposted Feb 13, 2012
- Annie Leonard: What classic Valentine's gifts are linked to exploitation—and what can you do about it?
Reclaiming Christmas, Radical Homemaker Style
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 21, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: Can you take on consumerism without being a Scrooge?
6 Recipes for Winter Wellness
by Jennifer Kaye, Kate Malongowskiposted Dec 20, 2011
- Fight seasonal maladies the natural way.