Online Reporting Intern
YES! Magazine is looking for a talented intern to collaborate with our online team—the next internship starts in January of 2014. Deadline for applications is November 30th.
YES! Magazine’s two online reporting interns collaborate with the web editor and web managing editor to assist with all aspects of reporting, editing, and posting progressive news for yesmagazine.org. These interns receive training and guidance in the essential skills of web journalism, including contacting sources, conducting interviews, organizing information, fact-checking, writing headlines, search-engine optimization, and uploading text and multimedia into our content-management system.
Because this is a small team, this program requires interns to take substantial responsibility for writing and producing stories. Interns can expect to leave the program with a wide range of marketable skills in online journalism and publishing.
Internships require an in-office time commitment of 30 hours per week for a duration of three to six months. Preference will be given to those applicants able to stay for six months.
Although interns are unpaid, the organization supplies housing in a five-bedroom house near the office. Past interns emphasize that communal living helped them build strong friendships, encouraged exploration in Seattle and its surrounding areas, and fostered their desire for more sustainable lifestyles.
If an intern already has housing and would like to commute to the office, we will reimburse public transportation expenses. We also provide catastrophic temporary health insurance, or will pay for part of an intern's current health insurance coverage for the duration of the internship.
- Participate in editorial meetings and develop story leads into short reported pieces.
- Fact-check and research information on an ongoing basis.
- Upload and manage website content, including text, video, and photos.
- Contribute to the development of infographics.
- Carry out other projects as assigned by the web editor and the web managing editor.
- Participate in professional training as needed.
- The ability to research, interview, and write on a tight deadline, preferably demonstrated by past experience.
- A passion for the topics we cover, including social justice, environmental sustainability, and alternative models of economic development.
- An interest in being a key member of a small team in a fast-paced environment.
- An interest in thinking through problems and developing solutions.
- A sense of humor.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and three references to internships [at] yesmagazine.org with “Online Reporting Internship” in the subject field.