Title: Foundations Relations Manager
Manager: Development Director
Status: Full-time Employee
Location: Remote, U.S. (Pacific time hours)
Compensation: $70,000-$80,000/year, plus standard employee benefits
YES! Media seeks a skilled fundraiser to focus on researching, identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding foundation and institutional donors. This is a great opportunity for a self-motivated team player who is interested in expanding foundation and institutional support for one of the nation’s longest-running solutions journalism publishers.
It’s an exciting time to join YES! Media. Our vision for YES! is to create an organization that operates with respect, integrity, accountability, transparency, ingenuity, and excellence. For more than 25 years, YES! has inspired people to build a more equitable, sustainable, and compassionate world by publishing stories about community-led solutions to society’s biggest systemic challenges. Today, the need for our work has never been greater, and this position will help us have an even greater impact in the world.
YES! aspires to nurture an internal culture that values and centers diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are intentionally seeking team members that share our commitment to building an equity-focused culture that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, ability, socio-economic status, and other aspects of individual and social identity. All team members actively participate in dismantling white supremacy practices and in building an equity-based work culture in which all of our teammates can flourish.
In this position, you’ll secure revenue from foundations and institutional funders. You will maintain a portfolio of existing relationships, provide grant management for key existing funders, and lead efforts to create a robust pipeline of new strategic partners to grow and diversify YES!’s revenue streams. You’ll write grant proposals, prepare grant reports and stewardship reports, draft and deliver in person proposals/presentations, and create other internal/external communications. You’ll create and track annual foundation and institutional fund development goals, collect data and statistics for proposals, and conduct prospect research. You’ll manage grant compliance ensuring YES! stays fully compliant with funder expectations.
This position reports to the Development Director and will also work closely with YES!’s Executive Director and Development Director to ensure our fundraising efforts are aligned with organizational needs and values.
Sound like something that would make you want to join our team? Fantastic — read on!
The ideal candidate is…
- Passionate about the YES! mission to inspire people to build a more equitable, sustainable, and compassionate world
- A highly-skilled fundraiser with a proven track record in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding private sector foundations, family foundations, and institutional funders
- Highly organized, results-driven, and adept at managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Someone with strong writing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly-organized and able to manage and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Someone with a demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Leads foundation and institutional fundraising, including research and identification of foundation and institutional prospects, and design and implementation of solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship strategies.
- Writes, edits, and submits high-quality proposals and reports, presentations, and other internal and external communications
- Develops and executes clearly defined fundraising strategies for achieving measurable short- and long- term foundation and institutional fundraising goals
- Stays informed about YES! editorial content, programs, and fundraising priorities
- Ensures grant compliance and utilizes best practices for tracking, acknowledging, and reporting progress to foundation and institutional partners
- Captures YES! impact stories and testimonials
- Participates in, creates, and sustains inclusive and engaging spaces for all people by demonstrating a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism, anti-misogyny, anti-transphobia, anti-homophobia, anti-ableism, and other forms of oppression.
Required Skills and Experience
In addition to excitement for the YES! mission, qualified applicants should have:
- 3 years of foundation relations fundraising and 7 years of nonprofit fundraising, grant writing, and/or a related field
- Understanding of progressive movements, such as Indigenous leadership, local and alternative economies, or grassroots solutions
- Understanding of anti-oppression theory and anti-racism theory
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement innovative strategies that translate into revenue growth
- Strong relationship management, presentation, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to hold diverse internal and external stakeholders accountable to our mission
- Detail-oriented, self-starter with a demonstrated capacity for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding donors, funders, and fundraising strategy
- Flexibility, creativity, and excellent judgment
- Maintain familiarity with issues and trends in the fundraising field
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Availability to travel occasionally when safe to do so, and to work occasional nights and weekends
Desired Skills and Experience
- Lived and/or work experience relevant to racial, climate, economic, and/or gender, justice movements
- Familiarity with solutions journalism
- Familiarity with community-centric fundraising
- Experience using Salesforce or a similar CRM
- Experience using DonorSearch or a similar wealth screening tool
- Familiarity with Slack, Trello, Airtable, and/or similar office tools to work more efficiently
- Experience working remotely
Ready to apply?
- Please complete the short application form at yesmagazine.org/frm, including your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample (grant proposal preferred). No paper applications or phone calls, please. This position will be open until filled, though applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by May 27, 2022.
Positive Futures Network/YES! Media is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating an equitable and inclusive workplace and encouraging people from underrepresented communities to apply. We encourage the following applicants: Black, Brown, Indigenous, and Asian people, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions, and other marginalized identities that are underrepresented in nonprofit media organizations.