The Page That Counts :: Summer 2008
Percentage of plastic bags that end up in the trash: 99
Percent reduction of plastic bag use in Ireland after the government began taxing bags in 2002: 95 
Number of days of workers’ paid vacation or other leave mandated by the U.S. government: 0
Number of other developed countries that have no paid leave requirement: 0
Number of days of paid annual leave granted to Japanese workers, the second lowest among developed nations: 10
Proportion of U.S. workers who receive no paid leave or paid public holidays: 1 in 4 
Number of years scientists believed the Jurassic shrimp neoglyphea neocaledonica had been extinct, before finding a living specimen in the Coral Sea in 2006: 50 million
Percentage of coral reefs protected by law from poaching, extraction, and human-caused habitat destruction: less than 2 
Number of dollars the U.S. government spends annually on renewable energy research: 1.5 billion
Number of dollars of revenue ExxonMobil generates in one day: 1 billion 
Number of dollars the federal government spent on contracted paper shredding in 2000: 452,807
Number of dollars spent on shredding in 2006: 2.9 million
Number of dollars spent on shredding in the first half of 2007: 2.7 million 
Number of New Yorkers who “saw something and said something,” following the advice of public transportation anti-terrorism posters: 1,944
Number of terrorists arrested due to these reports: 0
Percentage increase in risk of cardiovascular disease between someone who does not worry about terrorism versus someone who does: 300-500 
Lies told by top Bush administration officials leading up to the Iraq war: 935 
Iraqi refugees and internally displaced persons: 4.5-5 million 
Percentage of women and girls working as prostitutes in Damascus, Syria, who are Iraqi refugees: 70-80 
Miles per gallon a car got in a 1973 contest sponsored by Shell: 376.59 
Potential dollar amount of sales of green products in 2008: 104 billion
Percentage of adults who have difficulty finding the green products and services they’d like to buy: 42 
More Page That Counts
Percentage of Iranians who favor normal relations and trade with the United
Percentage of Iranians who strongly support a
democratic system: 79
Amount by which U.S. rice production was subsidized in 2003: $1,279,000,000
Percentage of Honduran rice farmers who have lost their jobs due to U.S. rice dumping: 92
- "Plastic-Bag Planet," Liz Stevens, Fort Worth Star Telegram, 23 June 2004.
- “No-Vacation Nation,” Rebecca Ray and John Schmidt, The Center for Economic and Policy Research, May 2007.
- “Census of Marine Life 2006 Highlights,” 2006.
- “Global Warming by the Numbers,” Environmental Defense Action Fund, January 22, 2008.
- “Bush Secret Shredding Soars,” John Cook, Radar, December 14, 2007.
- “Living in Fear and Paying a High Cost in Heart Risk,” John Tierney, The New York Times, January 15, 2008.
- “False Pretenses,” Charles Lewis and Mark Reading-Smith, The Center for Public Integrity.
- “The Iraqi Displacement Crisis,” Refugees International, March 3, 2008.
- “Desperate Iraqi Refugees Turn to Sex Trade in Syria,” Katherine Zoepf, The New York Times, 29 May 2007.
- “Hybrids, Meet Your Rival – It Gets 376.59 mpg,” Mike Lewis, The Seattle Times, February 20, 2008.
- “2007 National Technology Readiness Survey,” as cited in "National Survey Finds Consumers Likely to Spend $104 Billion on Green Technology Products Per Year," Robert H. Smith School of Business, March 12, 2008.
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.