The Page That Counts :: Summer 2009
Approximate number of languages spoken in the world: 6,000
Number of these that are indigenous languages: 5,000
Number of languages that go extinct every year: 26 
Percentage of Americans who spent time volunteering last year: 26.4
Median hours they donated: 52 
Percent increase in adult volunteerism since 1989: 32
Percent increase in teen volunteerism since 1989: 200 
Percent lower mortality rate found in older Californians who volunteered, compared to those who did not: 44 
Number of cigarettes consumed in the United States in 1997: 480.5 billion
Number of cigarettes consumed in the United States in 2007: 360.5 billion 
Percentage of worldwide litter made up by cigarette butts: 28 
Hours it takes two cigarette butts to kill 100% of the microorganisms in one liter of fresh water: 48 
Percentage of games the Detroit Lions lost in the 2008 season: 100 
Percentage of population African lions lost in the past two decades: 30 
Percentage of habitat eastern U.S. mountain lions lost since European colonization: 95 
Average hours per week married American mothers spent on child care in 1965: 10
In 2003: 14
Average hours per week married American fathers spent on child care in 1965: 2.5
In 2003: 7 
Average hours per day American youth spend watching television: 3.9
Engaging in physical activity: 1.4
Reading: 0.7 
Percentage of automobile passengers in America who wore their seatbelts in 1988: 45
In 2008: 83 
Percentage of time wild chimpanzees spend feeding: 32
Picking their noses: 14 
More Page That Counts
Percentage of teenagers who say their social life would end or suffer without text messaging: 47
Percentage of teenagers who can text blindfolded: 42
Decrease in miles Americans drove in May 2008 compared to May 2007: 9.6 billion
- An Indigenous Language Dies ‘Once Every Two Weeks', Survival International, February 20, 2008.
- Volunteering in the United States, 2008, Bureau of Labor Statistics, January 23, 2009.
- Volunteer Growth in America: A Review of Trends Since 1974, Corporation for National and Community Service, December 2006.
- Volunteerism and Mortality among the Community-dwelling Elderly, Doug Oman, Carl E. Thoresen, and Kay Mcmahon, Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 4, No. 3, 301-316, July 1999
- America Reaches Major Anti-Smoking Milestone, American Legacy Foundation, November 19, 2008.
- A Rising Tide of Ocean Debris and What We Can Do About It, International Coastal Cleanup Report, The Ocean Conservancy, 2009.
- Cigarette Butts as Litter: Toxic as Well as Ugly?, Kathleen M. Register, Underwater Naturalist: Bulletin of the American Littoral Society, August 2000. www.cigarettelitter.org/index.asp?pagename=UN
- 2008 Regular Season Standings, National Football League, 2009.
- Panthera Leo: Assessment Information, IUCN Red List of Endangered Species, 2008.
- Florida Panther Recovery Plan: 3rd Revision, United States Fish and Wildlife Service, November 1, 2008.
- Changing Rhythms of Family Life, Susanne M. Bianchi, Time Use and Gender Seminar, Department of Sociology and Maryland Population Research Center, University of Maryland, June 14, 2006.
- Generation M: Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year-Olds, The Kaiser Family Foundation, March 2005.
- Traffic Safety Facts, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Data for 2008 from Seat Belt Use in 2008: Use Rates in the States and Territories, April 2009
Data for 1988 from Belt Use Regression Model- 2003 Update, May 2003.
- Nose-Picking in the Pongidae and Its Implication for Human Evolution, Dr. Thomas L. Harrison, American Journal of Nasal Anatomy #17, 1987. www.calflora.net/primatenooz/nosepicking.html
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.