Percentage by which caloric intake from milk decreased in the United States from 1977 to 2001: 38
Age range in which the largest decrease occurred: 2-18
Percentage by which caloric intake from soft drinks increased in the United States in this time: 135 
Percentage of 523 school districts surveyed that have a contract with a soft drink company: 50
Percentage of these school districts that receive money from the soft drink sales made in their schools: 80 
Percentage of 16,000 American elementary schools surveyed that have eliminated recess or may do so: 40 
Approximate percentage by which clinical obesity in children ages 6-19 has increased in the past thirty years: 200 
Rank of the word “mother” in a survey of 42,000 English-speakers' favorite words: 1 
Number of times Massachusetts father Dick Hoyt has enabled his handicapped son to compete in triathlons by pushing his wheelchair through the entire race: 206 
Average price of sneakers endorsed by an NBA player: $150
Price of new sneakers conceived of and endorsed by NBA player Stephon Marbury: $14.95
Number of dollars Marbury will receive for endorsing these sneakers: 0 
Percentage of Americans who agree with the statement, “the free enterprise system and free market economy is the best system on which to base the future of the world”: 71
Percentage of the French who agree with this statement: 36
Percentage of the Chinese who agree with this statement: 74 
Number of Earth-sized planets needed if global resource consumption matched that of the United States: 3 
Year in which China stopped receiving food aid from the U.N. World Food Programme: 2005
Year in which China emerged as the world's third largest food aid donor: 2005 
Percentage of Americans who agree that arts are vital to providing children a well-rounded education: 93
Percentage of Americans who agree that arts education improves children's attitudes toward school: 86 
Number of U.S. states that implemented budget cuts to arts funding in 2003: 42
Miles of roadside land reserved for a tree-planting campaign in the Philippines in August, 2006: 2,137
Number of minutes volunteers were given to plant as many saplings as they could: 30
Estimated number of volunteers who participated in the campaign: 1,000,000
Estimated number of trees that were planted: 500,000 
Place Charlie Chaplin won in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest, which he entered under a false name: 3 
More Page That Counts
Percentage of studies reporting favorable results for a medication if they are funded by the drug’s producers: 80 Percentage reporting favorable results if conducted with no industry support: 50
Percentage of Iranians who favor normal relations and trade with the United
Percentage of Iranians who strongly support a
democratic system: 79
- Williamson, David, “U.S. Soft Drink Consumption Grew
135% Since 1977, Boosting Obesity,” University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill News Services, Sept. 16, 2006, .
- 2 Murray, Robert, Frankowski, Barbara, and Taras, Hoard, "Are Soft Drinks a Scapegoat for Childhood Obesity?" The Journal of Pediatrics, Volume 146, Number 5, May 2005, as cited in: “Soft Drinks Consumption may Increase the Risk of Childhood Obesity,” Medical News Today, May 12, 2005, .
- American Association for the Child's Right to Play, as cited in: Chmelynski, Carol, “Cutting Play Time could be Counterproductive, Experts Warn,” National School Boards Association, June 26, 2006, https://www.nsba.org/site/doc_sbn.asp?TRACKID=&VID=58&CID=1858&DID=38682.
- “Prevalence of Overweight Among Children and Adolescents: United States, 1999-2002” National Center for Health Statistics: 1999-2002 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, as cited in “Physical Activity Fundamental To Preventing Disease,” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, June 20, 2002, .
- British Council, www.britishcouncil.org/, as cited in: Ward, David, “Mother's the Word,” The Guardian UK, November 25, 2004, .
- Team Hoyt. “Our Racing History,” Team Hoyt, June 2005, .
- Culf, Andrew, “Marbury's stamp-down starts budget footwear revolution,” The Guardian UK, August 26, 2006, .
- The Program on International Policy Attitudes, “Companies Seen as Having Too Much Influence on Government” June 2006, .
- Radford, Tim, “Ringing the Alarm for Earth,” The Guardian UK, July 14, 2005, .
- “China emerges as world's third largest food aid donor,” UN World Food Programme, July 20, 2006, .
- Ruppert, Sandra S., “Critical Evidence: How the Arts Benefit Student Achievement,” National Assembly of States Arts Agencies, 2006. http://www.nasaa-arts.org/publications/critical-evidence.shtml
- Cederholm, Rebecca, “Update on State Arts Funding,” College Art Association, Nov. 2003. .
- “Philippines Hopes to Set World Record by Planting 500,000 Trees to Improve Air Quality,” ABC News, August 25, 2006.
- Milton, Joyce, “Tramp: The Life of Charlie Chaplin,” Harper Collins, 1996, as cited in: Mikkelson, Barbara and David, “Charlie Chaplin once lost a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest,” Urban Legends Reference Pages, July 19, 1998, .