Global average gallons of water used each year to produce goods and services, per capita: 328,366
Annual per capita water use in the U.S.: 655,939
Annual per capita water use in China: 185,449 
Number of people worldwide who do not have access to fresh water: 1.2 billion
Number of children who die each year for lack of access to clean water and adequate sanitation: almost 2 million 
Number of foreign-exchange high school students studying in the U.S. during the 2007-08 school year: 29,004
Number of American high schoolers studying abroad, 2007-08: 2,255 
Cost of a barrel of oil on May 25, 2007: $66.75
Cost of a barrel of oil on May 30, 2008: $126.06 
Decrease in miles Americans drove in May 2008 compared to May 2007: 9.6 billion 
Increase in public transit trips Americans took in the first quarter of 2008 from the first quarter of 2007: 88 million 
Year by which lifting the ban on offshore drilling is projected to impact the price of crude oil and natural gas: 2030 
Temperature, in degrees Fahrenheit, on a synthetic turf field in New York City on July 6, 2007: 140
Temperature on an adjacent grass field receiving direct sunlight: 85
Atmospheric temperature of the area that afternoon: 78
Length of time, in minutes, at which exposure to surface temperatures above 122 degrees can result in skin injuries: 10 
Percentage of 648 terrorist groups that ended between 1968 and 2006 because they entered the political process: 43
Percentage of terrorist groups that ended through police work and intelligence gathering: 40
Percentage of terrorist groups that ended due to military force: 7 
Number of weddings that took place in Beijing on August 8, 2008: 15,646
Number of weddings in Beijing on August 8, 2007: 3,390 
Estimated number of Community Supported Agriculture programs in the U.S. in 1990: 50
Number of CSA programs recorded in Local Harvest’s database as of September 2008: 2,098 
Millions of hectares of cropland lost each year worldwide due to soil erosion: 10
Factor by which soil erosion exceeds soil replenishment in the U.S.: 10
In China and India: 30 to 40
Percentage of the world’s arable land that has become unproductive as a result of erosion in the last 40 years: 30 
More Page That Counts
Original tree-planting goal of the UNEP's Billion Tree Campaign: 1 billion
The number of trees planted within the campaign's first 18 months: 2 billion
Miles per gallon a car got in a 1973 contest sponsored by Shell: 376.59
- “Water Footprints of Nations,”A.K. Chapagain and A.Y. Hoekstra, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 16, UNESCO-IHE, 2004.
- “Beyond Scarcity: Power, Poverty and the Global Water Crisis,” United Nations Development Programme, Human Development Report, 2006.
- “International Youth Exchange Statistics: Semester and Academic Year Programs 2007-2008 Cycle,”Council for Standards on International Educational Travel, January 2008.
- “Weekly All Countries Spot Price FOB Weighted by Estimated Export Volume (Dollars per Barrel),”Energy Information Administration, September 10, 2008.
- “Nearly 10 Billion Fewer Miles Driven in May 2008 than May 2007: Seven-Month Decline in Travel Reflected in Highway Trust Fund,”U.S. Department of Transportation, July 2008.
- “Public Transit Ridership Continues to Grow in First Quarter 2008,”American Public Transportation Association, June 2008.
- “Impacts of Increased Access to Oil and Natural Gas Resources in the Lower 48 Federal Outer Continental Shelf,” Energy Information Administration, 2007.
- “Synthetic Turf: Health Debate Takes Root,” Luz Claudio, Environmental Health Perspectives Vol. 116, Number 3, March 2008.
- “How Terrorist Groups End: Lessons for Countering al Qa'ida,”Seth G. Jones, Martin C. Libicki, 2008.
- “China Sets Olympics Record in Weddings,” China Daily, August 9, 2008.
- Erin Barnett, Director of LocalHarvest, personal correspondence, September 13, 2008.
- “‘Slow, Insidious’ Soil Erosion Threatens Human Health and Welfare As Well As the Environment, Cornell Study Asserts,”Susan S. Lang, Cornell Chronicle Online, 2006.